question

thebarold avatar image
thebarold asked

Wire gauge recommended - Orion Smart TR and 100/20 Smart MPPT

Planning out my install for the above two components. The Manual for the Orion calls for 10mm2 wire (<2m) and the MPPT calls for 6mm2 10AWG. When I look at Ancor's site for marine wire, 10AWG appears to be 5.26mm2 with a max amps of 60A. There is no 10mm2 wire so my choices are 6AWG (13.3mm2; 120A) or 8AWG (8.37mm2 and 80A) the 8AWG seems to be more than what the Orion could possibly output; though on the input battery side, the alternator could in theory output 120A.

1. Can the orion even accept 6AWG wire as into the input?

2. Would it be acceptable to use 8AWG on the Output side (with appropriate fusing)?

Am I misunderstanding the recommended cabling?

MPPT Controllersorion-tr smartwiringinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Which mode Orion are you using? input voltage, output voltage and power rating.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thebarold avatar image
thebarold answered ·

It would be for the orion tr smart as a battery to battery charging situation. The recommended circuit breaker/fusing is 60A so that I think equates to 6AWG but if the orion can only take 10mm2 will the 6AWG fit into the input and outputs?

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @thebarold, yes all currently-available models of the Orion-Tr Smart Isolated DC-DC Chargers can accept 6AWG wire at their terminals - see page 15-18 "Specifications" of the user manual.

2 |3000