question

ppet avatar image
ppet asked

Operation of the Isolated Orion 12/12-9

Hello

I have a question about the Isolated Orion 12/12-9

I want to power a microcontroller from a 12v lifepo4 battery and at the same time to be able to measure the voltages of the cells by the same microcontroller

I read the datasheet and the manual of the Orion and from what I understood (unit cost, cooling fins at the back of the unit and the conversion efficiency) I thought that there would be complete galvanic isolation between the input and the output. I thought that the path would be Input DC - AC | AC - DC output

The reality is that when I connect the output to the microcontroller, the Input DC (–) and the Output DC(-) are grounded. Thus the input and the output are not isolated

Did I understood the manual wrong? Am I missing something?

Regards,

Peter

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@ppet, please specify which particular Orion model you're inquiring about? There are quite a few different versions -even among the isolated variety- that all function somewhat differently. If possible, please post the part number of the unit you have as well as a photo or basic drawing that shows how you have the unit connected, as it's difficult to tell what the issue might be -if indeed there is one- without a full understanding of how you have the unit connected, and which specific unit you have.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ppet avatar image
ppet answered ·

Thank you for your answer Justin

the model i have is the product number ORI121210110R

I will post a drawing tomorrow, but for now let me explain in words as weel as i can

i have a (testbed) lifepo4 battery and i am building around an arduino, a BMS with a logic that (hopefully) will cover very specific - non standard demands

The purpose of the Orion purchase was to fully isolate the ground (-) of the battery from the minus of the power supply to the arduino in order to read sequensially each cell. if i use a standalone battery or a power supply to the arduino its fine

Contrary to what i thought when i power the arduino through the Orion, the input minus and the output minus are connected

i hope this is more clear

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ppet

I've never checked this, so reckoned time I did. I grabbed a 48/12-30 of the same range as yours to test.

I couldn't detect any continuity between the input/output/case, both + or -.

The Remote terminals (on mine they're on the lower edge), there was murmurings between the Remote terminals and input side (on both +/-), but not the output side. After a while I couldn't reproduce that, so call it 'undetermined'.

So don't overlook a contribution from the Remote terminals back to the input side.

2 |3000

ppet avatar image
ppet answered ·

But i do nothing with the remote switch. The jumper cable of the factory is on.

I just want to isolate the controller from the battery it is powered from

So you imply that i got a lemon? Should i return it?

I own a plethora of victron products. There are in service in my charter sailing yachts (mppts, BMVs, Argofets) and never had a bad unit

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Any conclusions are for you to make. I'm just an end-user too.

With the Remote terminals out of consideration, I'd probably think returning it.

0 Likes 0 ·
ppet avatar image
ppet answered ·

this is my setup and the photo of the Orion is the excact as the unit i have

when the orion is powering the arduino, the 2 minus are connected, To put it in another way, one end ot the multimeter to the output minus (-) and the other end at any point of the battery i take voltage readings when i expected to get nothing

drawing1.jpg (10.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Time to talk to your dealer methinks..

0 Likes 0 ·