question

adamdovale avatar image
adamdovale asked

Overload with 15kva Quattro 3 phase

I have a number site where we have installed Quattros in three phase set up.

We are having an issue that when the main supply goes down, (fairly often at the moment in South Africa) one of the phases will report an overload alarm and shut down. There is nowhere near enough loads to cause the overload. It has happened on three of our systems and it doesn't always over load the same phase.

What could be causing this issue?

Any idea what could be causing this issue?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfirmware update
15kva-grid.png (28.4 KiB)
15kva-output.png (29.3 KiB)
15kva-alarm.png (11.7 KiB)
15kva-alarm.png (11.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

It looks very similar to this question/problem:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/42788/3-phase-multi-goes-in-overload-when-grid-fails.html

(which by the way also seems to be South Africa).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @AdamDovale

This probably has to do with the way the voltage drops on the grid, there's a good explanation here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq#minimum_voltage_levels

about how to set the AC input disconnect voltage higher, so the system will not try to follow the grid down to the standard value of 180V

1 comment
2 |3000

adamdovale avatar image adamdovale commented ·

Thank you, I have set the disconnect to 210v and reconnect to 220, I will have to wait to see if that helps, I have done it to all three systems that I am having issues with.

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

Please share the AC Input voltage and current graph for the same period.

3 comments
2 |3000

adamdovale avatar image adamdovale commented ·

Here is the AC input voltage and current graph of the phase that overloaded

0 Likes 0 ·
15kva-voltage.png (22.7 KiB)
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman adamdovale commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) this voltage looks rock solid - much better than most of what I see if South Africa.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

unfortunately the voltage drop is usually not visible in VRM data (the resolution of that is not enough).

I've given the same advice a lot, but have not heard back from anyone yet who tried it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Albert de Jongh avatar image
Albert de Jongh answered ·

Here are two Multiplus II installs that also had the same issue in South Africa: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4985-multiplus-ii-goes-into-overload-at-grid-failure-ups

@AdamDovale - do you have the "grid code" set up correctly?

@Wehrner@onesolar.co.za - see above; it is very similar to your thread. Do you have the "grid code" set up correctly?

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @AdamDovale

How are you going with this issue?

There is a new firmware version 478 available with some improvements specific to unexpected overload conditions.

Specifically;

• Prevents permanent lock on ripple error due to overload

• Improvement of acceptance of grid in “floating phase” systems icw generators.

• Solved: Spurious switch off due to overload.

This firmware is currently only available via the Victron Professional Firmware section, and is not yet bundled in with the VictronConnect app. So you will need a Victron Professional account to download it before updating.

All usual firmware update warnings apply, please read those first if you have not updated firmware before - it is not intended for beginners and will wipe all settings.

Updating VE.Bus firmware in Victron Connect

Updating VE.Bus firmware with VEFlash

2 |3000