question

Adrian Sharp avatar image
Adrian Sharp asked

Multiplus 24/800/16 single VE bus connector and paralleling inverters

Hi, just purchased a Multiplus 24/800 (PMP241800000) as a starting unit as future expansion a possibility. Disappointed to discover that the unit has only ONE ve bus port, whereas other Multiplus units have two, as required for daisy chaining parallel units and to allow monitoring and control . Penny pinching or oversight?

Is there a way around this? (Especially when moving up to 3 or more units) I have seen in another posting, the mention of RJ45 splitters, but these can be non standard and present a “messy” cabling result.

battery chargingVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi again coolman. This won't be an oversight, but 'pennypinching' is too harsh. Victron have an incredible range of kit for all buyer levels, and the bigger/better you go, the more features you can expect. And a higher price. Such is life.

Your VenusGX has 2x VEBus ports, so all is not lost. Yes, it's a 'bus', so should work fine to add another Multi there.

Note you may strike issues adding another Multi in parallel if it doesn't match in hardware/size into a common ac load. There's a thread about here somewhere that discusses that. Not to say you can't add another Multi easily into separate ac circuits.

If you're imagining 3 phase in your future, please try not to. A quantum step up for a smallish offgridder, usually unnecessary, and best avoided. Like the plague..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·
Splitters are indeed required.

I think its amazing that these tiny and affordable units even have the parallel and multiphase features!

Back-wiring can help with neatness.

Please read this parallel and three-phase manual very carefully. There are limitations and restrictions with these more advanced configurations, it is STRONGLY recommended get the units at once so that they are compatible.

multiplus.jpg (284.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

What kind of splitters is used in this setup?
I'm looking for splitters but I'm not sure what kind I should use.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@M.Lange,

Victron sells the part - https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/rj45-splitter

It is in the pricelist

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is VE.Bus?