question

flosch avatar image
flosch asked

BMV-600s showing impossible high consumption

Hi all,

Setup in Land Cruiser: NEW 2 x 12V AGM Battery with 100Ah each (total of 200Ah), fully charged and used for fridge, USB... only (no starter battery).

While the voltage indication on the BMV-600s monitor after a SYNC is with ~13.5V perfectly fine, the consumption displayed ("I") is impossibly high at ~ -160A. In line with that value, the TTC indicates only about 20 min with the "CE" rapidly increasing and the "SOC" obviously decreasing at the same paste.

After TTC of 20 min. and an apparently "empty" battery, it actually still contains ~13.5V.

There is clearly NO such high consumption and we believe the installation is carried out 100% according to the manual. We've also reset to factory settings multiple times.

Any ideas of what's going wrong?

Thanks & best regards,

Flo

Venus OSSOCdc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

A few of things spring to my mind.
Is the PCB that screws to the shunt and the associated wirng in good condition? Any corrosion on the shunt, the shunt PCB or the RJ12 connectors can cause erroneous readings.

You could try and re-calibrate the Zero current. Disconnect all loads on the LOAD side of the shunt so that you can be certain the Zero current is flowing through the shunt.
If the BMV does read current whe it should be zero, then in settings menu go down to "Zero" and hold down the Select button until it says OK.

Are the correct shunt parameters programmed into the BMV?
In the settings menu the items "SA" and "SV" need to match the parameters of the the shunt. For the stock shunt supplied with the BMV, SA should be 500A and SV should be 0.050V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flosch avatar image
flosch answered ·

@WKirby Thank you! The condition of all connectors are in excellent condition. Equally the "SA" and "SV" values. The ZERO calibration however seems to have been the missing piece (although I've reset multiple times to factory settings before). I proceeded as layed out & now all readings are perfectly fine and as desired. Thank you very much - this helped tremendously!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)