question

christopher-hunt avatar image
christopher-hunt asked

Connecting Victron solar controller with WiFi

We have Victron solar panels along with a Victron solar controller (Blue Solar MPPT 75/15) and 12VDC battery on a remote tower where WiFi is available. Is there a dongle or similar product to connect the solar controller to our network via WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

MPPT Controllerswifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Christopher Hunt

No, not yet. Perhaps one day. The closest direct link accessory is the LoRaWan module, but that doesn't work from a wifi signal.

For now it requires a GX device, like a Cerbo GX that has built in WiFi, to bridge between the network and your MPPT.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cabin329 avatar image cabin329 commented ·

Hi Guy, I would also love to be able to connect my Solar Smart Controllers to Wifi. I have two 75/15 controllers using solar panels to maintain some 12 volt batteries - that is within Wifi range. I have been using the bluetooth to connect and monitor the battery staus and history - but would really like to encourage Victron to develop a device to make the bridge to wifi that is simple and cost effective. I have looked at the Venus GX as well as the new LoRaWan module - but would really love to have something simple - just to connect to local wifi. I am sure it would be in high demand.

1 Like 1 ·
christopher-hunt avatar image christopher-hunt commented ·

Thanks for the reply - I would absolutely love to use the LoRaWAN module (we have LoRaWAN at the tower), but you don't appear to support the AS923 band - is that correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ christopher-hunt commented ·

Supported bands are;

LoRaWAN EU863-870

LoRaWAN US902-928

LoRaWAN AU915-928

Other limitations apply too, so please read the manual very carefully.

It can only be used with the public The Things Network gateways, and not private LoRaWan networks, or other public LoRa networks.

0 Likes 0 ·
thesniper avatar image
thesniper answered ·

Same question: my controller is a

SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-MC4 and I also have a BMV-712 Battery monitor. (My Inverter is a Magnum fwiw) what are my options for adding a device that also allows me to have remote access to my Victron equipment? and what cables if any will I also need. I do like the bluetooth feature but would love to access my setup remotely. TIA! Sam

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@TheSniper You will need a GX device or a raspberry PI with Venus OS and 2 VE.direct to USB cables.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic