question

lazza avatar image
lazza asked

How to connect and install a Carlo Gavazzi EM24DINAV53DISX with CTs in an ESS installation

Hi

I'm trying to work out how to connect and program a Carlo Gavazzi EM24DINAV53DISX with CTs in a three phase Victron Quattro ESS system. I have no VTs.

I'm looking for step-by-step instructions on:

a) How to connect the EM24 in a L1,L2,L3,N system with CTs but without VTs.

b) How to program the EM24 for use in the ESS system (CTs 100A/5A ratio)

I cant seem to find anything online and the manual that comes with the Carlo Gavazzi is hard to read as there are so many permutations.

Also the RS485 to USB Victron cable has 6 wires, but I can only see instructions on the Victron site on connecting the orange, yellow and black ones?

Any assistance much appreciated

Laz

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

There is a manual with the meter, only 3 wire are required to connect a A,B, Gnd, and you use Carlo Gavazzi software to check and program the CT for each channel if required.

Victron do have a web page on how to connect these just search it under help etc.

Link below for connecting.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:em24?s%5B%5D=em24

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lazza avatar image lazza commented ·

Hi. Thanks very much for your reply. Understood on only the 3 wires for USB.

However, the Victron page doesn't show connections for the CT version of EM24 and that's the problem. The Carlo Gavazzi manual is also unclear on exactly correct setup and programming for an ESS system. Hence my doubts

I wonder if anyone puts these in regularly?

Cheers

Laz

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie lazza commented ·

Hi

Yes i have installed a couple of these and they all are straight forward. Their are other manuals on the web site as well explaining the CTs installation, i have also done a few with a wireless link using the DTK Electronics RS485 wireless link modules.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Lazza

The Carlo Gavazzi manual is very clear about how to connect, but it covers a lot of different situations.

I can show the setup you -probably- need, but -please- make sure to have things installed by an electrician (and a licensed one if that is required by local law). make sure the fuses are in place (see manual)

And last but not least: make sure the meter is being powered, easiest way is to power with N/L line from connection 1 + 7 (see manual for where to connect)

7 comments
2 |3000

lazza avatar image lazza commented ·

Hi Daniel,

That's great thanks. We wanted to make sure of the correct diagram. However if you'd be kind enough to assist me with on a couple more points.

• What kind of fuses are normally used? We're used to the Fronius smart meter but that recommends 6A fuses so we just put in a 6A breaker. How do we install such tiny 315mA fuses?
  • Apart from programming CT ratio, is there any other parameter on the Carlo Gavazzi that requires changing from default setting?

Many thanks in advance

Laz

ps personnel are qualified

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Your Electrician should advised you on this? there is such things as din rail mounted fuse holders that take 20 and 25mm ceramic fuse holders, should use a high kA rated type ceramic fuses not glass as they can explode very low kA rating.

6Amp CB is over kill. and won't trip in time.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
lazza avatar image lazza Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi Rob. Thanks very much for this. Understood. Dont seem know why the sparkies here couldnt tell me that.. will pass info on, and do this correctly

Cheers

Laz

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Laz

Just a note i am a electrician and electronics engineer.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
lazza avatar image lazza Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi Rob

Good to know- I may bother you in the future :)

Cheers

Laz

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Laz

That,s OK.

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·