question

matthias-roetzer avatar image
matthias-roetzer asked

native console for Octo GX ?

Hi Community!

What I would like to do is to connect a display or Android tablet or Android mobile phone directly to the Octo GX for accessing it's native console like implemented in the the color control.

What I managed to do:

• accessing the remote console of the Octo GX via VRM
  • connecting a tablet or mobile phone directly do the Wifi hotspot of the Octo GX and access the web based console directly

So what is the issue then:

• the locally connected console seems to be nothing else like the remote console on VRM. If I connect via VRM, the local console session disconnects and shows the "Reconnect" Button vice versa.

So what I need:

• a local display somehow connected to the Octo GX, showing permanently the overal system status, CCGX color console would be sufficient.

Any suggestions?

I hope I didn't miss somthing related in the manuals?

Best regards,

Matthias

VRMgx deviceremote console
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer commented ·

Hi all,

The new Dashboard with realtime view almost as realtime as the native console which can be seen in multiple concurrent sessions has resolved my feature request. Many Thanks to VICTRON!

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There is no display port on the Venus GX. The only GUI access is via the ethernet port and as you discovered only one device is supported at any given time.

Cerbo GX is the best solution with the addition if additional USB to VE.Direct cables. You can use a powered hub if needed to expand beyond the two on-board USB ports. (The third USB port is for Touch 50 power only.) I suspect you are already using USB to VE.Direct adapters since the Venus GX only has 2 ports built-in.

You can also expand the CCGX VE.Direct the same way but the total number of VE.Direct devices is limited.

VE.Direct ports

Built-in Max

Venus GX 2 6

Cerbo GX 3 ~15

CCGX 2 5

You could connect to Venus GX from a computer then connect via VNC or remote desktop to that computer to support multiple displays at the same time. VRM or any other connection directly to Venus GX would of course drop the connection to the external computer so it's not a complete solution.

Another solution would be to run Venus on a Raspberry Pi. Of course, all Victron device connections would need to be via USB adapters.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Using the USB to VEdirect adapters is indeed a good solution.

Nevertheless concurrent read only console connections would be a great feature!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Matthias Roetzer,

There are some solutions out there that may do close to what you are looking for, but for now, not exactly. As Matthijs has mentioned in similar answers to similar questions, there are also improvements in progress.

Please see these other similar questions for the range of solutions out there;

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/11222/feature-request-remote-console-on-multiple-display.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4199/best-tablet-for-an-external-ccgx-display.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/45671/i-made-a-little-victron-dashboard.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/5930/disable-hotkeys-in-venus-remote-console-on-lan.html

1 comment
2 |3000

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Thank you!

I'll consider using OpenHAB for the time beeing!

Although I would prefer a built in VICTRON solution as it is far easier to maintain when thinking of commercially installing your storage solutions to customers. So I'm waiting curious on next releases :)

Best regards,

Matthias

0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-roetzer avatar image
matthias-roetzer answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

This is one of questions to the community, but unfortunately nobody answered it for months.

I'm looking for a way how to show this

remotely on a screen, always and not interrupted by other remote console connections.

I didn't find a way to do it. To use a eg a Cerbo GX is not an option because I need more VEdirect ports.

Hope I didn't miss somthing in the manuals.

Please let me have your comment. Thank you!

Best regards,

Matthias

1595339815770.png (34.1 KiB)
2 |3000