question

profidurium avatar image
profidurium asked

Two MPPT on one solar string possible?

Hello
A customer asked me the question if its possible to connect two SmartSolar MPPT`s to one string of 3 parallel PV-Panels.
The reason behind is, there are two diffrent type of Batteries (one bank is Lead-Acid Battery, the other is a LiFePO4 Battery).

He would like to charge both with the same Solar Array.

Is this possible?

Tanks for your Help.

Oliver

MPPT Controllerssolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Profidurium

No this does not work, both mppt's will be 'fighting' for the same power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

profidurium avatar image
profidurium answered ·

Thats exactly what I also thought about

Thanks for your help

2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

They technically could but they would need a battery selector switch between the PV's and mppt's to direct where the PV's send their energy (that would need to switch BOTH positive and negative mc4 cables). Of course that would mean only one battery & MPPT could receive solar power at a time until they added a new, separate set of solar panels...

It would start to get interesting on the battery monitor side -if they only wanted to use just one BMV also though ...

I'd like to see the wiring for that!

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic