question

zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo asked

Do I need an AC Breaker between inverter and appliances?

Our setup is very small. We bought a Multiplus 800 to power 2 AC outlets on the boat. These outlets power one Laptop one coffee machine. :)

Can the 2 AC outlets be connected directly to the inverter AC output? Or do we need to install a circuit breaker between the Inverter and 2 AC outlets?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPhoenix Inverterac out 2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo answered ·

Right now, (without the Multiplus 800) if equipment is faulty, the breaker at the marina shore power will trip and cut the power.

But yes, I see that adding the MULTIPLUS will require a new breaker between the Multiplus and the 2 outlets.

Do you think we can use this Blue Sea AC pannel https://www.wmjmarine.com/8177.HTML between the Multiplus and the 2 outlets? From what I can see it trips as well in the event of failure on the outlets.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image kai ♦ commented ·

The linked item looks like a circuit breaker and does not have a RCD function. For what you're using it for, I'd second Rob's suggestion that you find a combine MCB & RCD (sometimes called a RCBO). The RCD function adds another layer of safety in the event of equipment failure/insulation damage.

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @zuzullo. Yes definitely you would need an RCD - this protects the user from electrical shock and also faulty wiring or equipment. I would also install a circuit breaker after the RCD feeding the AC outlets

2 |3000

Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello @zuzullo, Yes you need both.
You can find breaker with both functions in one. The MCB protect for overcurrent and the RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire.

Rob

2 |3000