question

suttridge avatar image
suttridge asked

Problem with latest 2.42 Venus, 469 ve.bus and 0175 ESS assistant

Hi All,

Just updated a MultiGrid 3000/48/35-50 installation. The system now has all the latest software :-

VE.Bus :- 2690469

Venux GX :- 2.42

MPPT BlueSolar 150/70 :- 1.47

ESS Assistant :- 0175

VE Configure 3 :- 90.04.218

There seems to be a problem in that the Venux GX no longer recognises that the assistant is loaded into the MultiGrid. The system is in "Passthru" mode. This means that no ESS controlling is happening.

In the Venus GX "Settings" -> "ESS", it just says "No ESS Assistant found". VEConfigure 3, says that the assistant is loaded. DVCC is ENABLED. I have made no changes to the settings of the ESS assistant.

I have used VE Configure 3 to send all the settings plus assistants twice to the MultiGrid (rebooting it each time), and also rebooted the Venus GX, but no luck.

It seems that some combination of these three things is not happy. Any one any ideas ? This is the first time I've encountered any problems upgrading this system (I've done it many times over its current three year lifetime). I am loathe to upgrade my other system with Venus GX, Multiplus II 5000/48 and SmartSolar MPPT 150/85 in case it does the same.

Best regards,

Steve.

ESSVenus GX - VGXVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

suttridge avatar image suttridge commented ·

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I saw that only after I had posted my question. Have downgraded the ESS assistant to 0174, and all is fine again.

As a software engineer myself, the moral of the story is - don't release new software on a Friday ! Only joking !

Steve.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ suttridge commented ·

Hi @suttridge

I guess you're right...at least not two things at the same time (fw and ESS assistant). I've been testing the new firmware for a while but not the new ESS assistant...

0 Likes 0 ·
Eric Peetoom avatar image
Eric Peetoom answered ·

Q4: Why is the VE.Bus state in //pass-through//?

In ESS, the conditions for the VE.Bus system to be in pass-through (ve.bus state: passthru) are:

• When the CCGX is no longer receiving data from the grid meter. Note that this is only for systems that are configured with an external grid meter. For systems without grid meter, see the Settings → ESS → Control without grid-meter setting.

• Systems with a canbus-connected lithium system only: when the CCGX is no longer receiving information from the battery, via the canbus.

• When charging the battery is not allowed (BMS max charge current = 0A, or max charge power = 0W) and there is excess PV power.

• When discharge is not allowed (BMS max discharge current = 0A, or low SOC, etc…) and loads on AC-Out force the Multi/Quattro to exceed the AC input current limit.

2 |3000