question

elduderino avatar image
elduderino asked

Redarc BCDC1240D & Victron SBS Compatibility

Hi

VW Campervan , Redarc bcdc1240d, 100W S/Panel, BMV-700 Smart , & a IP22 Charger.

2 x TN LiFePO4-12.8V 84Ah lithium phosphate cell batteries(in parallel)

The campervan is my everyday vehicle, but the Leisure batteries are not used every day( in winter it can be a couple of months with out use, & the SOC never drops below 100%). Overnight it can get very cold, so i am concerned about the low temps.

The BMV bluetooth signal is strong enough to reach the interior of my house, so dont have to go to the Campervan to see the SOC.

I have no temperature sensor. Would the Victron SBS work with my batteries, & the Redarc?

Regards

Smart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, the SBS will work with your batteries. You'll be able to monitor the standalone Voltage and temperature of the batteries.

There will be no interaction with the Redarc, so it will work as normal. You'll need to stop the Redarc from charging if the temperature gets too low.

17 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elduderino avatar image elduderino commented ·

Hi

I have installed an SBS, & it’s working fine.

But the Bluetooth signal from it is no where as good as the signal from the BMV(which reaches the inside of my house).

I have to stand next to the van, or inside to get a battery temp reading from the SBS.

Is there a way to read the battery temp via the BMV(surely they communicate with each other).

Hope you understand.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image elduderino elduderino commented ·

Hi

If someone could confirm yes or no, it would be a big help.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ elduderino commented ·

A BMV700 has no temp sensor.

Return the black SBS, and get the blue SBS, longer BT range.

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image elduderino klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I already have the BMV 712, not the 700.

Do I still need the Blue Sensor?

regards

0 Likes 0 ·

Is the BT range of the 712 enough (better than the SBS)?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the B/T range of the 712 reaches the inside of my house, which is about 10mtrs from the Camper van.

I have to stand next to the van (or inside it)to get a B/T connection from the SBS.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Is there not away to configure the BMV 712 to receive the temperature info from the Black SBS.
then because the BMV 712 has better Bluetooth I would be able to see the temp info whilst in my house.

Will someone tell me if I can do this or not.

I don’t want to waste anymore money buying something I don’t need to.

I am already annoyed that victron didn’t make it clear that the Black SBS has crap Bluetooth coverage.

If they had I would have bought the Blue SBS.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Can you tell me if it’s possible for the temperature info from Black SBS be received by the BMV-712, & viewed in the VictronConnect app on my phone(seeing as the B/T coverage of the BMV-712 reaches my house)

If this can not be done, I will purchase the Blue SBS.

Hope you understand.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

You can not network the SBS with the 712.

If you are not using the second input of the 712 (starter battery?), you could use the 702/712 temperature sensor. (you already know the BT range of the 712)

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for the info

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Are you saying that I didn’t need to buy the Black SBS.

I could just have bought the 702/712 temperature sensor?

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes.

Check out your opening sentence.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes I Know it’s my own fault(700).
still at least you pointed me in the right direction, & I now have what I wanted in the first place, it’s just cost me a bit more.

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi klim8skeptic

been trying to post to you, but its not working(using 3 different devices), is there a problem with the site

0 Likes 0 ·

Just to let you know, I have received the 702/712 temperature sensor, installed it, & it works fine. I get the temperature in the app, even in my house.

As my Lithium Battery’s are not Victron, & I have a Redarc BCD1240d charge controller, should I have some sort of cut off switch for when the temperature drops below freezing to stop the solar panel charging the batteries? If so, where would it go?

Or can the BMV 712 app be configured to stop charging happening?

Sorry to keep bothering you.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi

Thanks very much for the reply, & info.

How would i switch off the redarc, would i need to have a switch installed?

Regards

3 comments
2 |3000

OR avatar image OR commented ·

Hi @Elduderino,

the Redarc (BCDC12225D, though this should be the same for the BCDC1240D) has "safety features" that prevent charging Li batteries below 0 degrees C, according to Redarc support.

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image elduderino OR commented ·

Hi OR

Thanks for the reply, & info

I emailed redarc in Australia (see reply below)

I will call the local tech support number given at the end of email. i tried at 2pm this afternoon, but time difference meant they were closed( thought it was good of them to make it a local call charge).

Hopefully they will confirm what you are saying.

The REDARC BCDC1240D and the Victron products have no way, hardware or software wise, to communicate with each other, so they should not interact. The presence of those two charging sources will not cause any issues for the BCDC1240D, but I cannot say how the BCDC1240D would affect the performance of the other items. The BCDC1240D should be mounted as close as practicable to and in the same environment as the LiFePO4 batteries, so it can ensure they are correctly charged Vs temperature

I trust this has answered your question clearly.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or call our technical support line between 8am-5pm Australian Central Standard Time Monday-Friday on the applicable local call number below:

+1 (704) 247-5150 USA

+1 (604) 260-5512 Canada

+52 (558) 526-2898 Mexico

+44 (0) 20 3930 8109 United Kingdom

+64 9 222-1024 New Zealand

0 Likes 0 ·

Redarc tech said there was no built in low temperature charge protection For the bcdc1240d.

So I will get an SBS, & put a switch in to disable the Redarc.

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi

I have installed an SBS, & it’s working fine.

But the Bluetooth signal from it is no where as good as the signal from the BMV(which reaches the inside of my house).

I have to stand next to the van, or inside to get a battery temp reading from the SBS.

Is there a way to read the battery temp via the BMV(surely they communicate with each other).

Hope you understand.

Regards

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual