question

M.C. Pretorius avatar image
M.C. Pretorius asked

How do I clear an overload alarm from a GX device?

Good day.

When accessing the connected Color Control unit, we found that the inverter had been overloaded.

We were aware of the first instance, when it occurred inadvertently, but it has since happened on several subsequent occasions!

It MIGHT have been due to somewhat overcast conditions(?), but the battery bank was fully charged, and we assumed that the very short usage of whatever equipment, would/could be supported by the battery bank?

However, this is of lesser importance.

The Color Control indicates that "history", in this case the overload occurances, must be cleared on the "unit" itself?? We could not find any way to clear the overload history on the Color Control, NOR on the BMV700?

How should this be done on either of the units?

BMV Battery MonitorVEConfigure 3
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

I found if you access the error log and view it, it clears the error.

0 Likes 0 ·
M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius ejrossouw commented ·

Good morning Sir, (ejrossouw?)

Tahnk you for your comment.

Could you please elaborate somewhat?

Exactly how should I go about this? What to press/access on the CCGX or the BMV700?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @M.C. Pretorius

A reboot of the GX device should clear the alarms (menu: settings - general - reboot)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius commented ·
Good day Daniël. Thank you very much for your kind advice. It was followed and produces the required results. I was reluctant to do this earlier on, as I was unsure which existing parameters/settings would/could be affected by a "reboot" of the CCGX. However, it seems that no other meaningfull settings was altered by the recent "re-boot". Thanks again for good advice! Regards, M.C. Pretorius
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @M.C. Pretorius

You raise an interesting question. I too have seen that dreaded triangle in the upper GX bar, and couldn't find a way to clear it. I think I had to reboot the GX to clear it, long after the alarm cause itself was cleared.

Then I find an overload alarm gets reported on VRM (along with the email(s)), but doesn't show on the GX. Might be just a spike, and may actually show on the GX, but it clears itself long before I get to see it. No resident triangle..

Can anyone explain how this works?

4 comments
2 |3000

Than you Sir, for your valued interaction.

Let us see if we can get an answer from Victron, or any other expert.

0 Likes 0 ·

That triangle appears in the top right of the GX device menu until you enter the Notifications Menu, and tap the space bar, or centre button while the active alarm item is selected (which will be shown as a tick in the interface).

This acknowledges the alarm and removes the triangle.

If the alarm is re-occuring, then it will re-appear again.

7465-how-to-clear-alarm-in-gx-device.mov

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks both Guy and Justin for that. It'll help me at least to deal with it next time.

0 Likes 0 ·
M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Good morning Mr. Stewart.

Thank you for your response/comment about my question.

However, it is not about simply "clearing" the alarm notice; I want to clear/erase ALL history of the "messages" on the CCGX.

How should this be done?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@M.C. Pretorius, if you're just looking to clear the alarm notification: in the CCGX, go to "Device List">"Notifications" and you'll see a list of your alarms. Uncleared alarms will have a very tiny black triangle in the lower right corner of the list; select one of the alarms using the up/down buttons, press the center button, and that alarm will be cleared; you will correspondingly see the tiny black triangle disappear from the right corner of the alarm listing that you just cleared. The flashing alarm triangle in the upper menu bar will also go away.

I'll also add that although this doesn't appear to be able to be cleared through the VRM proper (that I can find), you can clear it by using the Remote Console; in this case, from the Remote Console main display you press "space" to open the menu/pages interface at the bottom, press "menu", press "notifications", select the alarm, and press "space" (the space key=the middle CCGX button).

Clearing the entire alarm history, however, is another matter... I can't help with that, I'm afraid.

1 comment
2 |3000

Good morning Mr. Cook, (Justin)

I sincerely appreciate your response and suggestions on my question.

As you correctly deducted, I want to clear/erase ALL history of "messages" on the CCGX.I could not as yet find out how to do this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jack Peters avatar image
Jack Peters answered ·

Is your question about clearing the error on the Color GX or getting the system operational again?

When a unit gets an overload error it will attempt to self-recover a couple of times before remaining off in error. To return the unit to normal operation you need to physically turn the unit off and back on again.

1 comment
2 |3000

Good morning Mr. Peters, (Jack)

Thank you for your response to my question.

The system did indeed recover from the "overload" every time, and is still operational.

However, I want to clear the "history" about ALL "messages", but cannot find an option to do this. The CCGX simply states that it must be "cleared from/on the unit itself."

This is construed to mean the BMV700, or is it the CCGX?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic