question

grunkern avatar image
grunkern asked

USB GPS Module has Speed recorded on Venus OS When Vehicle is Stationary ??

Help please ?

Set-Up is Raspberry Pi 3 with Venus OS publishing to vrm site and there is a USB GPS plugged into the Raspberry Pi 3.

This is in a stationary vehicle. Why do I see a Speed published on the VRM portal ?

Thanks in Advance
Robert

Venus OSRaspberry Pisoftware
venus-speed.png (142.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Could be an overly sensitive sensor? I also have a Pi and a USB GPS and mine shows zero, but oddly enough it isn't displaying altitude:

1579193588430.png (9.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

grunkern avatar image
grunkern answered ·

@nebulight what GPS model is it ?

2 comments
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I have the MR-350PS4 SiRF Star IV. It shows up on the GUI of the GX, but not in VRM:

0 Likes 0 ·
1579198074945.png (21.6 KiB)
grunkern avatar image grunkern nebulight commented ·

I think maybe the VRM is getting the Altitude from the Location info when you set Location and not getting that info as GPS data ?
- I set that as the Vehicle is stationary and parked up in same spot for much of the time or it is say a Home Location

0 Likes 0 ·
1579199154764.png (49.1 KiB)
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

The speed is calculated from the positions. Normally every second, if the position jumps are big, this will give you a speed... even when you are not moving.
It could be that your antenna does not have a full clear sight to the sky. Or maybe interference.

Some model GPS units average the speed over the last 5 seconds..

Try to move the antenna a bit.

Rob

2 comments
2 |3000

grunkern avatar image grunkern commented ·

Antenna is not external and does not "have a full clear sight to the sky" so that could well be a factor. Thanks @Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn grunkern commented ·

Hello Grunkern, Yes, likely the HDOP value is high. This is a statistic weight of the quallity of the position calculation. It can only improof by receiving a better signal from all sides of the sky. (what is not always possible).
Best regards,Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ·

Out of interest what USB GPS units are we using? I am just setting up an Pi 2 with the Venus setup, all working well, and wanting to add GPS now.

2 |3000

bluejeans avatar image
bluejeans answered ·

I do a lot of biking (pedal not motor) using a tracking app to log my trips. If I stop for a cold beverage in a building that blocks/reduces the GPS signal, I can add a 1/2 mile per beer, to my trip. All of the bouncing around of the GPS signal while the phone is trying to get a lock, shows speed and a lot of movement, when I'm firmly planted on the bar stool. The GPS track for that period looks like a 1st grade kid's scribble. If I sit at an outside table, it does not do that. It shows zero speed and motion. Your antenna needs a better location, for a better sky view

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Old thread, but.

My android head unit in the camper has GPS, this always shows a very low speed when stationary. Easy solar in the camper has separate GPS antenna, but shows the same behaviour. I've learnt to ignore it. I guess higher end units have code to ignore these minor values.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic