question

michael-b avatar image
michael-b asked

THD (Total Harmonics Distortion) vs Power reserve

This is my first post on this forum and I'm new to the world of inverters. The application is for my highend home audio system that I want to feed off the grid with an inverter and an LFP battery pack. One of the very best audio equipment co., Living Voice (UK), uses this same approach with Victron Phoenix inverters. https://www.livingvoice.co.uk/lv-battery-power-supply.html .

My question is relative to the THD the inverter output bears relative to the power reserve it has with the connected load. The load of an audio system is made of a baseline plus constant peaks varying in time (fraction of a seconds) and amplitude (up to 4+ times the baseline load), to follow the dynamic of the music. For example with a baseline load of 400 watts will the THD figure be lower with a 2000 watts inverter or a 3000 watts or even more inverter?

Victron inverters use a 20 KHz PWM full FET bridge followed by a step-up power transformer to produce the output waveform of 115/230 volts. Is this configuration considered as a low frequency inverter or a high frequency inverter. Is this specific configuration the reason Victron uses the expression Hybrid HF technology?

Victron doesn't say much on THD other than saying that it is <3%. Does this figure apply at max. load or low level load?

Thank you.

documentation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
royhosna avatar image
royhosna answered ·

Hi
Have you found the answer on this question?
Because I do have same question
Thank you

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarhack avatar image
solarhack answered ·

Hi

I don't know if this helps but I found this on the web. It has THD at levels of load for the Quattro and Multiplus but not Multiplus II.or Phoenix

Certificate-G59-3-1-MultiPlus-and-Quattro-3kVA,-5kVA,-8kVA,-10kVA-and-15kVA

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic