question

shayner avatar image
shayner asked

CCGX internet connection ideas?

Just wondering what kind of internet setups your running. I have a color control hooked up to a quattro with an ac coupled fronius primo. The problem is I have a router running hardwired right now between the CCGX and the fronius. But it has no internet connection. I have a home internet router with internet at the house but it's over 300ft away. I was hoping to be able to connect to my house internet over WiFi but it will be spotty. The problem I'm having is relying on the house router for the dhcp server for the pv interverter to connect to the ggcx.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has panels in a heavily treed area that are over 500 feet from the house that has their CCGX connected to their house internet for monitoring or vrm. I will be putting in a hardwire for internet but it won't be till summer time.

Let me know what setups you guys have and how it works.

VRMAC PV Couplingremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv answered ·

I'd look into using either one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-CPE210-Outdoor-Access-Points/dp/B00OO47F0G/ref=pd_sbs_147_4/261-5902157-4737105?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OO47F0G&pd_rd_r=82b1ea2b-63b2-44e8-b09f-897fad46d1cf&pd_rd_w=JTFn4&pd_rd_wg=r66tI&pf_rd_p=f4a31d1d-8f61-48f5-b6f4-a22ba06df575&pf_rd_r=QWPCJ8PJ56GSFZ7Q8KVV&refRID=QWPCJ8PJ56GSFZ7Q8KVV&th=1

I've used one of these to pickup a random B&Bs WiFi from 8km away (across an estuary), with one each end me and a friend have done 20Km's.

Both these were direct line of sight and aimed *very* carefully, but 300ft should be a piece of cake.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

500 feet is a LONG way, even for high quality hardwired twisted pair ethernet cable.

I have used Ethernet over Powerlines with good success. It's very important that there are as FEW interruptions (switches, loops, busses) as possible between the adaptors. I would suggest making a dedicated powerpoint connected as directly as possible to the AC cable that runs between the sites.

I presume there is a decent gauge, high quality, recently run AC cable that is running between the house and the power system.

I like this model of ethernet over powerlines adapter in particular as it has 3 ethernet ports. This allows one for the CCGX, one for the Fronius and one for a laptop to work on the system/troubleshoot.

2 |3000

shayner avatar image
shayner answered ·

Ya basically there is a solar panel unit out in an open field that is 250 feet from the shop where I have the CCGX and the inverter. Then the shop feeds the house which is 250 feet from the shop. I did have ethernet from the house to the shop but the line came down along with the above ground powerline. I managed to pipe in the underground power line but haven't got the ethernet put back in yet.

I basically have two hardwire networks and would like to connect the one to the other for internet. But there is 250 feet of distance. The one network will reach on WiFi but it's not strong enough to keep the primo talking to the CCGX.

Might have to do a temperary cell tower internet tower setup or something

2 |3000