question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Can I use multiple shunts?

I am adding a BMV712 to my RV and already have a Trimetric. Can I have two shunts inline on the negative cable without causing an issue? Until I am comfortable with the BMV I would like to keep using my Trimetric and then sell it at a later date. Thanks Bill

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@bigbillsd yes, that shouldn't cause you any issue at all. Technically you're adding a tiny bit more resistance on the line with two shunts than just one, but the effect will be negligible if not entirely unnoticeable.

I have a BMV shunt and a Balmar SG200 shunt wired in series on my test bench (testing the Balmar against the Victron) and it resulted in a .001mA discrepancy in my current readings over time, which I consider an acceptable level of inaccuracy for any realistic use.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

I am now using two shunts and everything is working fine. :)

2 |3000