question

redtailcabin avatar image
redtailcabin asked

Low current limiting A/C generator connection?

I'm the new owner of an off-grid system (2kW PV, 10kWh 24V Atlas-ESS LFP, BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/70 (VE.Direct), dual MultiPlus 24-120 master & slave, with Color Control), and a novice at its care and feeding. About 10 days ago, the 7500W propane backup generator began having voltage control problems, and I cannot recharge during an extended cloudy/rainy period. I bought a Predator 2000 gas generator to serve while I wait for repairs to the propane generator.

After the required 30-hour break-in period serving loads directly, I attempted to plug the Predator (1600W steady, 2000W peak) into the cabin system using the existing A/C circuit. Apparently, the 15.5A current setting is a floor that is too high for the 13.3A maximum output. [Color Control sees AC1-In L1 as 121V and 60.3 Hz, vs. AC-Out L1 s 120V/60Hz, but Active AC Input stays Disconnected.]

I am now faced with attempting to reprogram that limit to <13A. Is that really the problem, and what hazard to the system do I face in attempting to reprogram settings?

Generatoramps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Red.

These little inverter gennies are usually accepted readily by the Multis, but the genny won't be tolerant at all of an overload being applied to it, even spikes. So it's likely the one protesting. And both may only attempt a limited amount of times before they need 'resetting'.

So a Multi current limit is likely essential, perhaps with a comfortable margin until you see what you can get away with. Lets say 10A, and if you're running into both Multis, halve that to 5A on each.

This can be done on the GX, but if that won't stick you may need to allow 'Overruled by remote' on the Multi's charger tab via VEConfig.

No 'hazards' involved. You just need to tell your system that it doesn't have that big genny any longer. Just it's apprentice..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

redtailcabin avatar image redtailcabin commented ยท

Thanks for the info and reassurance!

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop