question

wolfbarnsolar avatar image
wolfbarnsolar asked

CCGX shows 0 from Solar when generator running

Prior to the latest auto update of CCGX & Solar controller the ccgx would display gen & solar input

Since update it now ONLY shows gen input & Solar goes to 0 input

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yeh, ha! Every time I make assumptions I stuff up. Goodonya too, keep tinkering.

We offgridders are all different, in needs, kit & opinions. For me (yeh just me!!), I like to give the pv it's best go at the whole day, then run the genny after dark to the point where my own algorithm* tells me to stop it. *Airyfairy, but ~20% of what my batts can accept (in A).

And to be honest, I would have great difficulty selecting auto stop/start points for a genny. Pb's can be 'slushy' and I don't necessarily trust SOC readings. So I don't do that.. but for you, help yourself..

I do however treat myself to good data. On the same laptop I'm typing on now I leave up two browser tabs, one a LAN link to my GX for instantaneous readings, the other my VRM portal.

And I'd be sunk without em. Thank you Victron, and especially for that portal being *always* up. That's special. and appreciated.

'Stay Charged' Wolf.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Wolf. This can happen when your Multi? absorb/float settings are higher than your solar's. Something's gotta give, and in your case the solar, with it's target already satisfied, will back off.

And yes, I suspect I've seen this occur after firmware updates, but didn't get excited about it. Might've just been an adjustment to some algorithm like temp comp which prompted it.

Or even an unintended reset to default settings. Yeh, check them & tune if necessary.

You can actually watch this happening on the VRM portal graphs, but nowadays I run my genny only after dusk, so never see the interaction in practice.

Hopefully it's this simple for you..

2 |3000

wolfbarnsolar answered ·

Thanks for answering John C

I see that the system was in float. auto run generator kicked in due to high current draw by Oven solar came back when gen stopped

Its a learning curve every time something different happens

Real OFF grid living is very different to whats expected.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yeh, offgrid is 'different', but needn't be less satisfying for day-to-day living. You tend to become more aware of what you're doing/using, and that can't be a bad thing, eh?

I suspect you have a dealer-installed system with the auto-start genny'n'all. And that's fine, but perhaps some fine tuning could help. If you're prepared to jump on the learning curve, it can all be diy'd. Not sure how far you've come, but on the VRM portal, click on Advanced, select the widgets that interest you, and see what's happening by the minute (setting there too).

I don't use the auto start genny thingy, just a personal preference. My pv usually can replace that Wh drawn by high loads (& temporary low V), so I don't bother. Winter can be another story, but I decide at dusk whether to run the genny to get me through the night.

Sorry for the 'excess' info, but it might help.. :)

2 |3000

wolfbarnsolar answered ·

Thats great info thanks

Yes Tinkering I am

Self built/designed system inc Victron gear so have been learning for 12-18 months now

the gen 12KVA could replace the watts easily but trying to tune the gen use to minimal & use free energy where possible & keep batts above 75% MAX DOD

a recent change of panel tilt to 57degrees ( azmith + 15%) has reduced summer input but should Increase winter production

on Full sunny days I need no extra input to keep batts at 95-100% but these seem to have gone on holiday lately & only averaging 6-7 Kwh production a day

Full sunny days bring 15-28KWH which is overkill (hence tilt change) as our usage is stabalized at a steady 7-8Kwh a day

2 |3000

wolfbarnsolar answered ·

Just to Update this Issue I had

I have found that an update to the Multi Plus resets the battery monitor to Auto

If i change it BACK to Bmv it charges from solar & generator Concurrently

So I am NOT WASTING FREE SOLAR ENERGY

2 |3000