question

timstobart avatar image
timstobart asked

The correct settingvfor smartsolar mppt 100/30

Hi, I am just installing a 400w solar panel to feed two Leich Adventurer LAGM 130 batteries through a smart solar MPPT 100/30.

The data sheet for the batteries states: Initial charging current less than 27A voltage 14.4V~15.0V at 25°C temp. Coefficient-30mV/°C.

The generic agm settings in the manual (1 or 2), 1 is too low, two is on the bottom end of the voltage range (14.4V), 3 is bang in the middle (14.7V), and 4 is towards the top (14.9V).

All have the same float voltage.

What setting will be the best performance for my batteries? My instinct is to go as high as possible, but I have a nagging doubt!

Any advice @John Rushworth ?

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If none of the presets match to your batteries then simply adjust the values to fit into the specifications.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Tim.

Instinct vs nagging doubt, eh!

Depends on how you define 'performance'. I find longevity top of my list, the cost and effort replacing them is a pain. And the difference between treating them gently and pushing them hard is what? - a couple of Ah over a day? And to get that little extra will likely mean much more charge input, a lot of which may be boiling off water. Fatal for agm's. So is high temp, which you may see too when pushing hard.

Treat them like you would a good woman (or even your elderly mother). Go easy and they'll serve you well. I use 14.4 Abs/ 13.8 Float for floodeds (daily cycling). And I can top up the water in them - you can't.

All my opinion of course (and Victron's with their stocko algorithms I use).

Take care Pal.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic