question

vvoegele avatar image
vvoegele asked

BMS 12/200 Battery Control Cable

Hi,

we have just installed the BMS 12/200 as part of a marine lifepo install together with BatteryMonitor 712 and Victron Superpack as well as Multiplus Compact 12/1600.

The pack did not come with Battery Control cables shown in the wiring diagram in the manual so I guess they are optional?

All seems to be fine BUT the voltage of either the Alternator (AB) or Battery Charger (LB) does not arrive at the Lithium Minus Out in the middle of the BMS 12/200.

So I can neither charge nor discharge the lithium batteries through the BMS at the moment. All other components work fine.

any help much appreciated!

thanks,

Valerian

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
vvoegele avatar image
vvoegele answered ·

Ok so after talking to a very nice marine lithium expert I have the following update:

1. The BMS 12/200 needs the battery control cables to work. The Superpack has an internal BMS and no cables and therefore can not be used together with the BMS 12/200

2. The solution is to use a Sterling Battery to Battery charger (located between the Awhich does the following to complete the system

A. Isolates the starter from the main

B. Reduced the current draw (programmable as a percentage of rated)

c. Provides LiFePo4 charge program (Customisable)

hope the above helps people

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It's not optional, it's needed. Without it the BMS can't work.

3 comments
2 |3000

vvoegele avatar image vvoegele commented ·

Thanks for the quick response! Do you know if the cable is supposed to be in the package with the BMS? If not can I make my own? I cant find that cable on the Victron website (only the one that connects to the VeBus BMS / alternator control).

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ vvoegele commented ·

It's been a while since the last time I installed a BMS 12/200, but I think this cable is not included. Just make one, it's nothing special.

0 Likes 0 ·
dominic-planel avatar image dominic-planel commented ·

Hi @Matthias Lange - DE, do you know if this BMS will only function with the Victron LiFePO4 batteries of are they suitable for any third party battery?

0 Likes 0 ·