question

Todd Landfried avatar image
Todd Landfried asked

Best and least expensive method for remote monitoring of Multiplus

I have a Multiplus II inverter and two MPPTs. I like having Bluetooth capability on the MPPTs, but using the dongle to monitor the Multiplus is a pain because I have to go to another building to plug into it. What’s the best way to set it up so I can monitor the system remotely?

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllerswifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Todd Landfried, when you say "dongle to monitor the MultiPlus", I presume you mean the MK3 to USB Interface? If so, then I would suggest the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, which connects to one of the VE.Bus ports on the MultiPlus and provides monitoring and limited device functionality adjustment over Bluetooth. Granted, you're still limited to Bluetooth range with this option, but since you mention being happy with the SmartSolars, I presume that Bluetooth range is acceptable for you.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Todd Landfried avatar image Todd Landfried commented ·

Thanks for your answer. This is kinda what I was thinking. Bluetooth is okay because I can connect to the MPPTs from inside the house. Where do you mount this? To the battery?

I see the capacity of the Smart Dongle is limited, but if I wanted more than that (not sure I need it), what then would be the recommended solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Todd Landfried commented ·

The venus gx device may be worth considering if you have a home wifi for it to connect to. You can even remotely manage settings on the multi as well as benefit from a wealth of VRM portal features.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Todd Landfried commented ·

@Todd Landfried mounting is fairly flexible; it needs 12v pos and neg (you can takeoff directly from the Multi, or from the batts, or any 12v distribution source) and connects to the VE.Bus port with the standard RJ45 VE.Bus cable just like the MK3. Technically it would do you some good to mount it away from the Multi/batts just so the unit itself is closer to wherever you're accessing it via bluetooth (the bluetooth range is pretty decent, but it helps to extend the dongle closer to where you plan to access it from your phone).

The next option, as @ejrossouw has mentioned, is either a Venus GX or a CCGX, both of which are accessible through the VRM portal over wifi (with a separate 3rd party USB to wifi dongle) or wired connection over ethernet.

0 Likes 0 ·
Schalk van der Merwe avatar image
Schalk van der Merwe answered ·

Venus GX, asp per @ejrossouw

2 |3000