question

jacko avatar image
jacko asked

Lots of problems with ESS multiplus 2 (error 24)

I Installed a multiplus 2 with 10kWh of BYD batteries in an ESS system first half of the year, it worked well for a month or two then started bringing up error 24, I followed the instructions for what to do for error 24 and sent them off to my victron distributor, victron decided to send me a new unit, I intsalled the unit and instantly had the same problems, after lots of return visits and firmware updates in the hope the issue had been found and resolved which is costing me lots of time and money ive realised that the unit will go straight into error 24 with the current sensor plugged in, If i remove the sensor and restart the unit it starts fine then plug it in it begins to act as an ESS system should with no error code, the problem being that i simulated a power cut by turning the AC isolator off and then back on, and as the sensor is in it goes into error 24, i have updated the firmware twice and replaced the unit. Its a real shame as its also costing the customers confidence in the system i have installed for them, and I cant keep going back to resolve this I have seen on the VRM it is in error 24 again today and i went to them on friday. It has the latest 2629 467 firmware intalled and the UK G98/G99 grid code. Please can you sort a resolution for this ASAP.

Multiplus-IIESSerror
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peterh avatar image peterh commented ·

I have experienced exactly the same problem on a new Multigrid II system that I am installing.

I have already decided not to use the CT and have ordered an ET112.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ peterh commented ·

Hi @PeterH

This issue should have been fixed a while ago, what firmware are u using on the inverter?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @jacko. I don’t have advice on how to fix the issue regarding the current sensor. Can I ask, why not remove the current sensor and install an ET112 energy meter instead? I’ve had no issues with them.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

on2itmaclennan avatar image
on2itmaclennan answered ·

I also have a very similar problem with my Easysolar II GX (I think it is to do with confusion on which CT the system should look at). Running an ESS with all loads and ac coupled solar tied to the AC IN (and nothing connected to AC-OUT) so basically using the Easysolar as an ac coupled battery. The banana CT is on my mains all as per the Victron diagrams. I am using Australian grid connection if that makes any difference.

The 2 bugs I have noticed:

Since my BANANA CT is connected around my house mains conductor, if I isolate the AC to the AC In of the Easysolar but the rest of my solar and house load is operational, the multiplus part of the Easysolar trips on error 24 which I assume is due to it "seeing" current through the back-feed relay. But I think this is an internal bug as it should not be looking at the banana CT for this protection, it should look at the internal CT. To reset this error can be difficult but basically I have to reboot the multi and have no or little load at the house.

Another error that is associated with the CT confusion is the multi "thinks" all my house load (import export) that is seen by the banana CT passes through the Easysolar but it isnt. So the display shows all house load on AC OUT implying everything is going through the Easysolar. If I do a scheduled charge and the power consumption of charging my battery and my house load shows more than 20 Amps (my AC input current limit is set at 20 amps as that is what the MCB is) the system gets confused and discharges the battery to try and limit the incoming current. To get around this I just up the input current limit to 32 amps but it is still an issue when I have free power (my retailer gives free power now an again but the max I can utilise is around 7kW while using scheduled charge otherwise the battery discharges instead of charging). Interestingly under this scenario the system does not trip which I thought it would if the Easysolar is told to limit current and I can't do it... Perhaps that part of the protection actually looks at the correct CT...

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) interested if someone is working on those 2 bugs, perhaps I have a setting wrong but pretty sure I don't.

Have fun everyone

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @on2itmaclennan

Those are not bugs:

-you have to check the 'external current sensor in use' box in ve.configure to let the inverter know it has one, to prevent error 24

-the external current sensor replaces the internal one, so yes it sees current that does not go through the inverter as internal current.

0 Likes 0 ·
on2itmaclennan avatar image
on2itmaclennan answered ·

Thanks for the reminder @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) I had that ticked previously but when checked this morning it was unticked so I must have somehow unticked the box over the past few months. Completely my mistake. Now to see if it fixes some of the funny things I assumed were bugs.

Cheers for the amazing support

A

2 |3000