question

pappag avatar image
pappag asked

System Evaluation

Having new Victron system installed. Needs some guidance to make sure system will be balanced.

Quatro 10 kva

16 panels 330 w Canadian solar poly

2 3.5 kwh pylontech

Mppt 250/100

Victron color controller

My concern is that batteries might not be enough.

Appreciate some feedback

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Pap.

The mppt and the solar is a good match.

But that's a massive inverter comparatively, and an anaemic batt bank will likely cause issues on both charge and discharge sides.

Victron's take on it is summarized here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom Allow for the batt sizes discussed there.

They don't/can't speak for Pylon, but imagine a warranty claim on the batts, and you tell them a 10 kVA Quattro. connected.

You're right to have concerns. You should also speak to Pylon, and even see recommendations in writing to feel safe.

Whether grid connected or no may make a difference too, and how it's all set up. But the batts do seem too small..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pappag avatar image pappag commented ·

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. I did read that article and that was why I posted this question.

Some more information. I am in South Africa. JHB. The set up will be grid-tie. I was looking at the following usage set up: Solar, Battery and Grid. Solar as first priority, when solar is not available battery to 60% and then switch to grid

Your thoughts?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ pappag commented ·

Yeh. It's likely you could make this work. But you may need to limit both charge and discharge from the batts, even to 'soothe' interaction with the Pylon kit, and avoid 'control' issues from solar and load changes.

Outta my comfort zone, but maybe someone else can help. In the meantime, maybe study up on ESS, DVCC, etc. to work out how to actually do it.

0 Likes 0 ·
dustdevyl avatar image
dustdevyl answered ·

Also depends on where in the world you are and how your household is set up with regards to energy consumption. Are you running a solar geyser? LED lights? Cooking on gas? As for me i am in Cape Town and running all those things and i have no problems filling 2x 4kWh BlueNova in summer with 13x 270W panels and a 5kVA Multi II. You probably need to provide more detail for people to be able to give you a more elaborate answer.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic