question

Chris Dobson avatar image
Chris Dobson asked

NMEA 2000 & Venus GX Compatibility.

Is to possible to send GPS & tank data from NMEA2000 to VenusGX. Also is it possible to send tank level data from Venus GX to NMEA2000?

NMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ยท

Hi Chris,

GPS data to Venus GX: no

Tank data to Venus GX: yes

Tank data from Venus GX: no.

we did recently add sending out battery monitor data & inverter/charger data, thats now being tested and will be available officially soon.

all the best, Matthijs

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chabanovp avatar image chabanovp commented ยท

Hi! Has any news about transferring tank data from Venus no N2K? Very needed!

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ chabanovp commented ยท

Yes, its currently in beta.

See pinned post at the top here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/spaces/31/mods.html

0 Likes 0 ยท
Chris Dobson avatar image
Chris Dobson answered ยท

Thanks Matthijs. We have experimented sending tank data to the Venus / Color control with mixed results, Maretron worked fine, but simulated tank data didn't appear. It would be really good for Marine installations if this data was available to both systems. Is there any chance this might be a future development? The Victron app on the Raymarine display is a fantastic step forward.

All the best

Chris

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Hi Chris,

i dont know what you mean with simulated tank data?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Chris Dobson avatar image Chris Dobson mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Hi Matthijs,

We have a device that simulates NMEA data for our displays in the workshop it generates standard PGN's for all kinds of data from GPS to engine and tank data. This way we have an NMEA2000 network full of data to display. The Venus does not seem to display the tank data. We can disconnect this and add real tank senders into the system. The Maretron worked OK but if I remember the Oceanic System one did not display. However this was a while ago on the Color Control.

Just one more question on the GPs, could we feed GPS position from NMEA2000 into the USB port on the Venus if we used an Actisense NMEA2000 to USB converter.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ Chris Dobson commented ยท

Hi Chris, if you have a commercially available N2K tank sender of which you are sure that it does not work with our equipment, then please let me know make/model/type number, and we'll look into it.

As far as I know, all commonly available types work. There was some information about it in the CCGX manual, which I've just now given its own chapter: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#connecting_nmea-2000_tank_senders .

Wrt the simulator: could be all sorts of issues, impossible to say without a software engineer looking into a system thats showing the problem; which I'm sorry but we're not going to spend the resources for, please just put a real sender in the system.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic