question

Willem van Schalkwyk avatar image
Willem van Schalkwyk asked

Quattro ESS Generator Instability

Our configuration:

Quattro 48/5000, 150/85 SS MPPT, 3x PylonTech US3000 LiFe batteries, 10kVA Bundu Power LP Gas Generator. Battery BMU communicating on Can-bus.

Grid connected to AC-In 1 & genny to AC2 (for grid priority)

All components on latest Firmware

ESS Configuration

Optimized (without battery Life)

No feed-in

Battery Min SoC = 10%

VE Configure

I have tried many combinations, current settings:

UPS Function off

Dynamic Current Limiter on

Weak AC on

Power Assist on

Problem

Generator call is made at 5% SoC. Generator connects and starts charging battery while supplying small load (500W). Charge to battery increases and generator load gently increases to approximately 2kW, at which point the charging stops and load on generator drops to 500W (AC load only). This cycle repeats ...

With UPS function on, at the 2kW genny load the Quattro completely disconnects the genny, only to re-connect and repeat the process.

Voltage and frequency from genny remains stable and well within tolerances during these cycles. No big loads or demands on AC.

I am out of ideas. Please advise where the problem may be.

battery chargingESSGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Disable the UPS mode, and enable dynamic current limiter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

As with all MultiPlus Generator issues - the place to go is the MultiPlus Generator FAQ.

I given the configuration changes you have already tried, I would next attempt to change the LOM settings - there is more information here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq#loss_of_mains_detection_lom

2 |3000