question

cristimv avatar image
cristimv asked

Balancing 4 x 48V

Hi

I have a 48V system and 4 parallel banks of batteries. I've just connected my 3 balancers (they were just sitting on the wall for almost 3 years since the system installation, just because the certified Victron installer failed to make them work!!!). So, I've extended the diagram available in the manual as attached. 3 out of 4 sets are having now the same voltage, only one set is having 50mV lower voltage. And "high voltage on the upper battery" led is lit, but just on the first balancer, not on all 3. Anything wrong on the installation?

Thanks

Battery Balancer
battery-balancer.jpg (177.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Could you share some photos of how you wired this: - the series links - the midpoint links - the balancer links

Are your series links all the same length?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Each balancer acts independently and has no knowledge of the voltage measured by the other batter balancers.

So each unit only measures and compares the voltage of the 2 batteries that it is physically connected to.

Accordingly - it's not abnormal for only one battery balancer to detect a voltage difference and light up the related LED.

To check how things are operating measure the battery voltage's directly at the battery balancer terminals and compare it to the LED status.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herb avatar image
Herb answered ·

I bought 3 of these battery balancers for my 48v system few days ago (4x12v). It works like a charm. I think the wiring diagram can be improved a bit, like providing a list of cables required. One on my batteries was shooting to 16v hence I decided to get these. From there onwards. No issues!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic