question

drencken avatar image
drencken asked

Tripping issue : 24V Battle Born, Inverter and BMS-700

I'm putting together a 24V system and am attempting to run a Giandel 2000W Inverter with a 24V Battle Born battery. Also in the mix is a Victron BMV-700 monitor with shunt etc.

I connect the inverter to the battery via a heavy duty switch. Now I expect that there would be an initial current surge as these two components are initially connected but I then I see my battery voltage drop from slightly more than 26V down to 5.9 V or so. So the BMS has probably kicked in and the display on the BMV-700 blanks our probably due to under voltage.

What's puzzling is that I will then disconnect the inverter load, unplug the BMV-700 display unit itself, immediately reconnect the BMV-700 to the shunt and the battery returns to 26.7 V or so indicating that the BMS is no longer tripped. This is repeatable every time. So how can the BMV-700 re-connection "untrip" the BMS ?

I'd appreciate any insights.

BMV Battery Monitorinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

The BB battery manual says reset is time based. Is the BMV-700 reconnection simply coincidental with the reset timer on the integral BMS running out?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drencken avatar image
drencken answered ·

Good question - I'll do some more poking around.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic