question

mohdmohamad avatar image
mohdmohamad asked

MultiGrid: LEDs for Mains, Inverter and Absorption 'On' at the same time

Hello everyone,

I'm using 3 MultiGrid and Pylontech Battery without any load at the output. This setup has no particular purpose at this moment, but my task is to prepare a GUI for a communication between the Venus GX and a PC using Modbus. So I use ESS Mode 3. I'm frequently switching between ESS Keep Battery Charged Mode (to charge the battery when I'm away) and ESS External Control (to test and to run my Modbus GUI).

Both modes ran perfectly for about a month, which means I could charge and discharge the battery with energy from/to grid through Modbus communication. Until one day, on which the settings in MultiGrid might have been changed. Since that day, both modes don't work:

In ESS Mode 3, Venus GX doesn't react to the setpoint I sent, but data such as battery SOC can be read as usual. In Keep Battery Charged Mode, the battery is not charging, and most confusingly, these LEDs Mains On, Absorption and Inverter are on at the same time.

I've used Victron Toolkit App to understand this LED combination, but this combination is not available both in the app and the manual. How can these problems, or most importantly, the Keep Battery Charged problem could be solved?

Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

ESSmultigrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mohd.mohamad

In the GX device you can see the exact error message, and maybe also on VRM.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mohdmohamad avatar image mohdmohamad commented ·

Hi Mr. Boekel,

Thank you for your response. Apparently there are no notifications in my GX, as shown in this screenshot.

The three LEDs that I mentioned above are still 'on' on all three Multigrids. The system doesn't react anymore in both ESS modes 'Keep Battery Charged' and 'External Control'.

I have also updated the firmware and set up the Multigrids through VE.Bus System Configurator, twice. Still, the problems remain.

I really hope that this problem can be solved. Thank you very much.

0 Likes 0 ·
nonotif.jpg (23.1 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mohdmohamad commented ·

Did you try resetting the multi's (devices - multi - advanced)

one of the reasons for not feeding in can be starting up without / with too low battery voltage, so a battery with an internal BMS that disconnects can be a trigger for not feeding in. A reset should fix that (as charging should also do)

Another common reason is the use of a grid code that uses the 'aux1' input to disable feed-in, in combination with another function using aux1 (like a two wire bms, thus the reason for asking what kind of bms you are using)

0 Likes 0 ·
mohdmohamad avatar image mohdmohamad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much for your response.

I have reset the Multis twice, by installing the latest firmware on every Multi, setting the three phases configuration and installing the ESS on every Multi. The problem is still there. As for today, when in 'Keep Battery Charged' Mode, the remote console shows this: (Note: Durchleiten = Pass-through). The actual battery voltage is also shown.

Normally, my system would react to this mode by taking about 900 W from each phase, charging the battery until the SOC reaches 100%. This is not the case anymore since 2 weeks.

The BMS is from the PylonTech US2000 batteries, connected through CAN to Venus GX.

As for the grid code (Germany), I didn't change it because it requires password. The grid code is still the same before and after the problem.

I'm looking forward for your help. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
passthrough.jpg (26.0 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mohdmohamad commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
mohdmohamad avatar image mohdmohamad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Mr. Boekel. Thank you for your response. I'm sorry because I was away for a while and could not try the solution instantaneously.

Refering to your answer from the link:

In ESS, the conditions for the VE.Bus system to be in pass-through (ve.bus state: passthru) are:

• When the CCGX is no longer receiving data from the grid meter. Note that this is only for systems that are configured with an external grid meter. For systems without grid meter, see the Settings → ESS → Control without grid-meter setting.

• Systems with a canbus-connected lithium system only: when the CCGX is no longer receiving information from the battery, via the canbus.

• When charging the battery is not allowed (BMS max charge current = 0A, or max charge power = 0W) and there is excess PV power.

• When discharge is not allowed (BMS max discharge current = 0A, or low SOC, etc…) and loads on AC-Out force the Multi/Quattro to exceed the AC input current limit.

Regarding the first point, we don't have a grid meter installed, because we were running the system in ESS Mode 3.

Regarding the third and fourth point, I've checked the system through Modbus (ID 305, 307, 308). The values in my system are not zero, so both charging and discharging are allowed, as far as I understood.

As for the second point, I think this is the most probably. However, the SOC, voltage and current values shown in the Remote Console are correct, suggesting that the CAN communication between Venus GX and the battery is functioning. I've tried resetting the battery by pushing the SW button for 5 sec, but the problem is still there.

Just as additional information: If I set the ESS to external control, the Remote Console will show 'recharge' status, but the battery is discharging 30W continuously. If I change it to ESS Keep Battery Charged, passthru is shown, but the battery still discharge in the same way.

I haven't come across any such case when I was researching in the web. Therefore, the support and help from you and Victron team are highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

0 Likes 0 ·
notzeros.jpg (35.0 KiB)
wiederaufladen.jpg (30.3 KiB)

Hi @mohd.mohamad

When having troubles with external control systems: first thing to try is to set it to normal ESS (optimized or keep batteries charged) to see if that works.

If that works it means that the problem lies in the external control commands.

0 Likes 0 ·
ramassamy avatar image
ramassamy answered ·

i have the same problem,ESS is not working for me since 1 month. I have the same signs.

My bank battery is a 48v 750a Crown instead of yours, but i still have the same problem like you ...i think i am going to test hub4 like someone experiments it on youtube

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @ramassamy

Can you please make a new topic about the problems you have?
Describe all components and what exactly does or does not work.

If you want me to look into the system, please also give the VRM id.

0 Likes 0 ·
ramassamy avatar image ramassamy Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
ramassamy avatar image
ramassamy answered ·

in my case the inverter light stop ....

very disapointed

2 |3000

ramassamy avatar image
ramassamy answered ·

in my case, i am with 'optimised battery life " mode ...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual