question

pepvan avatar image
pepvan asked

Van solar electric scheme 24v and 12v

Dear forum:

I have been exploring the web and seeing a lot of electrical diagrams for a Solar installation in a camper van, but non with the idea I had in mind, so I'm sharing my scheme.

My idea is to have 2 x 180W Solar panels serial conected to have 24v output connected to a MPPT solar controler to charge two 12v batteries (115Ah each, serial conected 24v total). I would like to be able to charge those batteries also with the van alternator, and someone in the forum suggested me to try the Orion DC to DC high power 12v to 24v 450W.

From there, control de batteries level witht he BMV 712 Smart, and some other components (see int the scheme) to have a 12v power line, an inverter to have 220v, etc.

I would appreciate a lot if anybody could comment on this, give me his/her opinion, It is my first electrical scheme, I know there might be some basic error (I'm not sure how to wire the Orion 12v to 24v to the alternator/starter battery and bank batteries), things to be corrected or improved.

All fuses and wire diameters still in process

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

van

ESSSolar PanelOrion DC-DC Converters not smartwiring
1573550894862.png (865.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dirkmuc avatar image
dirkmuc answered ·

Hello,

interesting, but why do want to put the internal voltage up to 24V? You are stepping up the starter battery to 24V and then bringing it down to 12V for the low voltage consumers. Do you have any 24V consumers? If yes why not just use one 12V to 24V equipment for them and leave the rest 12V? You would save one box. Of cause then you would need a 12V to 230V AC converter and not 24V to 230V AC.

Cheers

Dirk

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pepvan avatar image
pepvan answered ·

Thanks dirk

the thing is that I have 2 12v batteries and I have been strongly advised to not connect them in parallel, so together in series the become 24v.

fridge will also be 24v

and heating I would try to be also 24v

thanks for your comments

2 |3000

pepvan avatar image
pepvan answered ·

Dear all, almos the installation done (it took a lot of time I know)

I have doubts on wire thicknesses from Starter Battery to the Orion Tr Smart 12/24 20A
taking into account that the calbe will be 1m long

as an output I guess 6mm2 is enough
but as Input I have no clue, any help would be much appreciated

2 |3000