question

martinwinlow avatar image
martinwinlow asked

VictronConnect Compatiblity with OSX 10.11

It appears that the only version of VictronConnect (VC) downloadable from the AppStore is 5.13 which is compatible only with OSX 10.12+. Is a version of VC available from somewhere that *is* compatible with OSX 10.11? My mac is so old I can't upgrade it any more (or at least nothing is offered why I ask for an update).

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi,

You can download version 5.8 directly on our downloads page -

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martinwinlow avatar image martinwinlow commented ·

Indeed, and I could have saved myself the trouble of starting thsi thread and wasting eveyone's time... IF the title to the relevant download was not "(v5.8) - Latest version compatible with macOS Yosemite / Sierra" - implying that it is NOT compatible with El Capitan (v10.11). If it stated it *was* compatible with v10.11 I would have downloaded it and been using it for a week already!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @martinwinlow,

The App Store should detect your version of OSX, and instead download version 5.8 to you if you are running macOS 10.11. That is how the developers have set it up.

Can you please delete any copies of VictronConnect you might already have on your computer, and please try downloading it again from the App Store?

If that still doesn't work, report back and we will look into it further.

4 comments
2 |3000

martinwinlow avatar image martinwinlow commented ·

I never did instal any version of VictronConnect. Please see screenshots - no sign of anything other than V5.13...

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ martinwinlow commented ·

And to confirm, if you click get, it downloads 5.13? And when you try to run the app is says that it cannot?

What should happen from that point in your screenshot is when you click Get, it should download 5.8, which we have told the App Store is the last compatible version with 10.11. Perhaps there will also be a dialogue box that says you are getting an older version.

I can see that it says 5.13, but please try and download it and run the VictronConenct app, and show me what it says after that.

It will hopefully give you the latest version compatible with your operating system.

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image valden commented ·

Hello Guy and Martin.

Guy - Today (9 Nov 2020) I have just tried to install Victron Connect from the Mac OS X App Store onto my MacPro (early 2008 - still working!) running El Capitan 10.11.6. The App Store refused to install the app, advising that 10.12 or later is needed. There was no fallback to an earlier version. I deleted a disk image of Victron Connect from the downloads folder (it appears I tried to install it earlier this year - and failed) and checked that I had no software installed in Applications. I tried to install again from the App Store, and failed again.

I did have success with installing Victron Connect 5.8 directly from the Victronenergy.com website onto a MacBookPro laptop, also running El Capitan 10.11.6 . I expect this approach will also work with my MacPro.

Summary - my experience indicates that the App Store is not defaulting to the earlier version where the user's operating system requires it. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
msoysal avatar image msoysal commented ·
Hi Guy, I also want to remotely get SOC data from my Smartshunt and Smart MPPT via my old El Capitan OS'ed Macbook Air, even if I have downloaded 5.8 (by the way shouldn't it be 5.08 not 5.8 by means of proper versioning lexion) and bought a 4.0 bluetooth USB stick, the software Victronconnect cannot see any devices. Could you help me about this, please? Thanks in advance
0 Likes 0 ·
martinwinlow avatar image
martinwinlow answered ·

On clicking on 'Get', I get an error message "We could not complete your purchase. (null) can’t be installed on “(computer name)” because OS X version 10.12 or later is required."

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for reporting, I’ll pass the error on to the devs, and see if I can get you a direct link to a compatible version.

0 Likes 0 ·
msoysal avatar image msoysal commented ·
Hi Martin, were you able to connect to Victron devices with El Capitan OS? any luck??
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources