question

aknate avatar image
aknate asked

Multiplus fan isn't turning on

I have a Multiplus 2000 12V that has been working fine for a few months since I installed it, but today while charging our batteries at 70 A for a few hours it suddenly shut off. After maybe 20 seconds it turned back on. And it kept doing it. This is the first time I can recall that we have charged for an extended period from the generator. Earlier in the year solar was enough to maintain our batteries.

I checked the Venus but it showed no errors. When I checked the inverter itself, it was hot to touch, but the fan was not running. After leaving the compartment open to the outside 40 F air for a while, the inverter was only warm to touch and was working fine again.

Am I correct in assuming this was a temperature problem? If so, why did the temperature alarm never go off? Shouldn't the fan be running when the inverter is hot to the touch? Is the fan easily replaceable without pulling the inverter?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargertemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @AKNate

Did you find the problem yet?

I know that on the 3k models the fan is easy to replace, not sure about the 2k models, but it probably is.

Is it a very old unit?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aknate avatar image aknate commented ·

No, but I’ve narrowed it down a bit. It happens exactly when the multiplus switches from bulk to absorb. I think maybe my absorb voltage is too high, but I’m not sure why that would trip it off without an error message. I have lithium batteries and absorb is set at 14.6 V. I’m going to try lowing it to 14.1 to see if that makes any difference.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ aknate commented ·

Hi @AKNate

What kind of batteries? do they have an internal BMS that disconnects?

Also, 14.6V sounds high for LiFePO4 batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
aknate avatar image aknate Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

They are Lion Energy LiFePO4. They do have an internal BMS that disconnects. I remotely changed absorb to 14.1 V today (I’m currently a few thousand miles away) and for the short period I was able to monitor it, that seemed to stop the cut outs during absorb. A person from Lion Energy is who originally recommended the 14.6 V setting, but that does seem like a huge jump up from the end voltage of the bulk charge that I’ve seen. I don’t think temperature actually has anything to do with it as I originally thought.

0 Likes 0 ·