question

mahmm avatar image
mahmm asked

EasySolar 48/5000 isolates the solar input (Err #38)

Greetings

I am new to Victron. I have installed the EasySolar in an off grid setup with 9.6KWh batteries (4 x 12V 200AH LiFePO4 - Non Victron - Built in BMS) and upgraded all the firmware.

I have 5 panels in series delivering just under 110V when disconnected and about 10A in short circuit.

When I connect the panels to the unit it doesn't charge the batteries. It issues error #38 input shutdown due to battery over-voltage. I then have to go through the process of resetting the unit.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mahmm.

EasySolar All-in-Oneerrorovervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee answered ·

I had the same, i manually set the voltage on my mppt to 48V through victron connect. Or disconnect batteries and PV and reconnect, make sure everything is isolated while connecting and switch on again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

This might give you some ideas - MPPT error codes err 38, Err 39 - PV Input shutdown

2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

That error could be generated when the connected battery BMS disconnects when charging. A look at the battery voltage on the advanced tab would indicate that. Further, ensure to set the MPPT battery voltage to 48V

2 |3000

mahmm avatar image
mahmm answered ·

Thank you all for your input. The unit is 48V it doesn't auto detect the battery voltage. The BMS has no reason to disconnect. The batteries charge at full throttle when the AC Input is on the generator. Having had to reset the unit a few times I have become an expert in Err #38 & Err #2 reset procedures.

I also forgot to mention that I have set the rotary selector to Lithium (7) on the MPPT charger subsystem.

I've just taken delivery of BMV700 which I'll connect up and see if it makes a difference. One would've hoped that a unit of this caliber would be able to do its basic functions without needing additional bits and bobs or tinkering with the software?!

I look forward to hearing more about your suggestions on what could be the cause of this.

Thank you all.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Have you programmed the multi with lithium charge voltages?

Standard they will charge to 57.6v, that will probably trip the mppt.

0 Likes 0 ·
mahmm avatar image
mahmm answered ·

For the benefit of this forum I'm updating this question with the answer.

The issue was that the MPPT charger inside the EasySolar 48/5000 was configured for 36V batteries. Go figure!!

Thanks to all those who provided suggestions.

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic