question

petajoule avatar image
petajoule asked

[Fun] Quiz: What is wrong with this image?

Hey - it's a question and hopefully enough on topic:

;-)

service
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

You changed the AC inputs to posts. I wish the MPPT controllers were like this. When using 6awg the connections are so close.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ·

Nope. :-)

There's something else very wrong with that image.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight petajoule commented ·

Interesting. I'm guessing the Quattro has male connectors for the AC connections and maybe my Multi doesn't.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

AC IN2 is missing -> RMA

3 comments
2 |3000

Or it's just the front-panel changed..

0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image petajoule Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

That would have been the better alternative.

Unfortunately, that is how the Quattro came back from RMA.

We called it our little "gender change" Quattro.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ petajoule commented ·

Ahhh mixup...
Frankenmulti?

0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

So yeah. After the power PCB in our test Quattro decided to have a smoking break and the Quattro came back from RMA "gender changed", we agreed with the Victron Service that it's better to send us just the connect PCB rather than sending 35kg of toroidal transformer around...

So together with some excellent HowTo:

(right MultiPlus PCB, left the spare part we got)

Real men repair the Quattros themselves. ;-)

I removed the serial numbers, because the last thing I'd like would be to get the service shop in trouble. Actually thanks to them we are fairly confident to repair any (old) Quattro or Multiplus.

The devices have a very nice modular concept.

quattro-repair.jpg (914.3 KiB)
2 |3000

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

The experience from all this begs the question if a MultiPlus -> Quattro upgrade is possible.

I mean, technically evidently yes: You change the connection PCB, the firmware - and if you have some sense for aesthetics also the front panel. Et voila! - you have a Quattro.

Use case could be an installation with MultiPlus devices which now needs an upgrade with an additional AC-IN (e.g. retrofit of an installation with a CHP or other type of Generator).

Of course, simply changing the device is faster and if one can agree with the customer a trade-in for the "old" MultiPlus, probably the preferred way to go, but in principle the option seems to be there.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic