question

brassmonkey001 avatar image
brassmonkey001 asked

Which Battery Protect do I need?

How do I determine which model Battery Protect is best suited to my needs?
Lithium BatteryBattery ProtectSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@brassmonkey001, to begin with I always recommend the Smart BatteryProtect over the BatteryProtect because, although it's a little more expensive, it makes setting the device so much easier through the app that it's well worth the additional expense; furthermore the Smart version adds a significantly greater degree of functionality in that you can custom-set your high/low voltage cutoff/restart thresholds to 1/100th of a volt, instead of being limited to the factory presets as is the case with the standard-version BatteryProtect.

So there's that consideration.

Otherwise, you simply need to calculate the loads that you're going to have controlled by the device. If you have <50A of anticipated loads, get the 65A model, etc. You want the version that is equivalent to your anticipated loads x 1.25... so if you expect to have right around 65A loads that you want controlled by this device, you should go the next size up to the 100A version.

A couple of critical points: This device is unidirectional in operation only, so you cannot connect it in such a manner that reverse current is ever, ever applied to it. Also, you cannot use this device between your batteries and an inverter; the exception is in the case that you have a Victron inverter (not an inverter/charger) that has a remote trigger, in which case you can use this device as the remote trigger in accordance with the new instructions posted on 10/29 regarding the proper installation/wiring instructions for these devices; this device is not to be used to interrupt an inverter's main connection to the battery, however. See here: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/manuals#item=manuals-batteryprotect

These new instruction supersede all previous manuals issued in print, including the manuals included with most units on the shelves today.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brassmonkey001 avatar image brassmonkey001 commented ·
Any disadvantage in going for the higher rated model, apart from the higher cost? I think the 65A model would be sufficient for my needs but 100A would definitely cover me with room for future growth.
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ brassmonkey001 commented ·

Not at all other than the larger footprint; self-consumption is identical, so that's not a concern... the only other significant difference is that the 65 uses M6 posts to connect battery/load while the 100 and 220 use M8 posts.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That simply depends on what power you need.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic