question

vicky avatar image
vicky asked

How to connect ET340 to Venus via ETHERNET ?

I am stuck with my ET340 setup .
ET340 is sitting in the power distribution cabinet (solid steel case - forget WIFI ).
The pipes, laid in concrete, I had forseeen for additional wires, have been wrecked by the builders - squeezed...
So I end up having no option to -route an additional wire to my Venus/ Multigrid, two rooms away.

I do have Ethernet LAN in the cabinet and I am aware of RS485 <-> Ethernet adapters, but will the Venus / Multigrid be able to communicate ?

rs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Those sort of adapter / converter gadgets are not supported by Victron.
That's not to say that they won't work, it's just that if you do decide to try them, you'll be on your own.

Have you thought about using a wireless Zigbee connection?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:et340

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

Txs, Zigbee was the first choice, but wireless won't work sitting in a rock solid steel cabinet :(.

I ordered two simple RS485-Ethernet adapters right now, will give it a try and report back

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, it would be great to have some feedback!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

Hi Vicky,

You can use the Ethernet cable as an extension of the Rs485 cable!, ie..a twisted pair for the ground a twisted pair for each of the data +/- of the inside of the Ethernet cable.I have used this in the past with no issues,no adaptors are used so no problems encountered!

0 Likes 0 ·
vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

Thanks Mark, I understand what you mean, but I don't have Ethernet cabling in the cabinet. I have Ethernet made available over Powerline. So I'll try to connect RS485-Ethernet-Powerline-Powerline- Ethernet RS485 :o) No the most simple and cheap way, compared to a stupid pipe with cable..., but the only one I can see here as an option. I'll let you know how it worked out at the end

2 |3000

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

... after a couple of hours, taking hurdle by hurdle I made my setup working.

Now ET340 meter is connected by quite a chain of components.

ET340 Meter -> RS485/Ethernet Converter -> Ethernet/Powerlan -- >Powerlan/Ethernet - > Ethernet/RS485 Converter- >RS485/USB cable -> Venus GX

Additional cost beyond the USB cable you need anyway:
2 pc. RS485/Ethernet converters € 53.-
Devolo Powerline for the distribution cabinet €150.-
AVM546E €50.-

So not a steal, but helps big time.

I might write up the setup later, or on demand if this of interest for somebody.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

That is awesome Vicky!
Thanks or sharing and letting us know that it works. Please keep us updated its reliability.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Pretty cool set up there Vicky!

2 |3000

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

2 |3000

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

To finally having three energy meters working, this is how I had to set it up at the end. Three meters at one bus didn't work. See here

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthew Walsh avatar image Matthew Walsh commented ·

Could you use a pair of tp-link powerline adapter instead of the Devolo Pro 1200 din rail and the AVM 546E for the network extension part?

0 Likes 0 ·
aimfire avatar image
aimfire answered ·

Hello vicky, could you possibly post your config of the two RS485 converters.

Got the same ones but can't get them connected.

Regards

Oli

2 |3000

turbyho avatar image
turbyho answered ·

Ethernet uses only two pairs in the cable. You can use one free pair for RS-485.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic