question

garethcurtis avatar image
garethcurtis asked

Connecting the Carlo Gavazzi ET340 energy meter - no power - not wired correctly by electrician?

Hi there.

I had an electrician come round to fit my energy meter and Multiplus inverter today and all seems good except unfortunately the ET340 doesn't seem to be working. I suspect it's not wired up correctly as it doesn't have any power (assuming the power comes from the wires it is monitoring - as it says 'self powered'). I don't have the blinking LED light for power.

Looking at it, he's only wired up the live wire and I'm assuming it needs to be connected to neutral too?

Can anyone confirm this, so I can ask him to come back and get it installed correctly please?

Looking at the GX side on the USB cable, I see a blinking red light which I think means it is looking for the meter but no meter appears in the 'Meter' selection.

Thanks very much,

Gareth.

Energy Meter
img-5178.jpg (631.1 KiB)
img-5179.jpg (693.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
garethcurtis answered ·

Found the section on energy meters in the ess Manual. And dealer confirmed not wired up correctly!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @garethcurtis

It would be a service if you could please post the link to the part that helped you, for anyone else in the future that is also looking.

0 Likes 0 ·
garethcurtis answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) sure thing. Actually I just struggled to find it again! Seems there is a link on the ESS Design & Installation Manual but it's broken:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual (about half way down, grid meter optional bit)

But the page I was looking at is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start

1 comment
2 |3000

Great! Thanks, I fixed the link on the ESS page.

I will also improve the energy meters page to make it clearer for the next installer ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image
sean answered ·

You have what appears to be a typical UK single phase 100A service provision, but the ET430 is a 63A three phase device - I'm wondering why the 100A ET112 wasnt fitted.

1 comment
2 |3000

garethcurtis avatar image garethcurtis commented ·

So I basically bought a kit from a distributor in the UK and it had the ET340 bundled with it but actually you're right. I'm not sure why they don't include the single phase one which matches the UK supply. I learnt about that after. To be honest though, I paid £1500 for the lot including the GX and the meter plus various switches, cables and a fuse. So I'm not complaining.

I wonder if they supply that meter so you can monitor PV as well as the Grid if you wish. Not sure.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources