question

asamr avatar image
asamr asked

Which old Multiplus are compatible with MK3-USB

Hi,

I just bought an older Multiplus Compact 12/800/35-16. Before I buy the rather expensive MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) Interface I'd like to know if my Multiplus can connect to the computer, because I heard, that with old models it isn't posible.

That's the lable. Anyone able to answer my question?

Thanks a lot,

René

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVEConfigure 3MK3
multiplus.jpg (140.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Yes it should be possible to connect your MultiCompact to a MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) Interface and program it via computer. The MK3-USB and the VE.configure software is backwards compatible for most old device.

The exception are very old devices with firmware versions14xxxxx and 17xx000-17xx129. To check the firmware version, see the number on the large chip on the control board. See below image.

Your unit most likely has firmware number 18xxxxx or 19xxxxx and therefore it can be programmed.

ve-bus-capture.jpg (74.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

asamr avatar image
asamr answered ·

Thanks a lot. I'll open and look.

2 |3000

asamr avatar image
asamr answered ·

I know it took a time, but I wanted to say thank you. It worked :-)

2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

I have firmware 18xxxxx and the mk3-usb doesn't work.

I've just wasted €92 with the postage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

No I didn't know that there was a different software, where can I download VE.config tool?

Thank you.

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Wayne

just the normal download, below Victron Connect is VE.Configure

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image Wayne Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

No be configure from that link does not work on 18xxxxx it finds the MK3 on the computer but says it's for ve bus devices. I was under the impression MK3 would work from the original post.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Wayne commented ·

Hi @Wayne

I'm afraid you do need an MK2.2 adaptor, but the 'normal' version of ve.configure does work with you inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image Wayne Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, I've just ordered one.

I guess I'll keep the MK3 when I need a new inverter for GX etc.

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Would I need ve configure version 1 or 2?

I cannot find either software to download.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The current VEconfig is the 2nd Tool on this site.
VE Configuration tools for VE.Bus Products

The older software can be found further down
Software for old devices

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

Is the MK3 installed correctly? Take a look at the Windows device manager to see if there is a device with a yellow triangle.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Thank you. Ok, I have an old multiplus 12/1200/50. It has 18xxxx.hex on the chip. I have bought an mk3-usb cable. The cable is recognised in ve-configure newest version when starting up it says no ve bus. I have bought the cable after reading this original post. I need to know which cable will work with this inverter and which software. Thank you.

2 |3000