question

oxy avatar image
oxy asked

Solar Chargers multiplying in VRM (Device ID changing?)

Hello,

Two Solar Chargers in the system. All was well, was monitoring its data in Advanced view for a month or so. Then a week ago I noticed that its data was gone from Advanced view together with one of the BMV's:

It looks that for an unknown reason (maybe GX reboot?) the Device instance ID has changed on its own! The Device list tab in VRM now shows even four Solar Chargers, even though there are only two!

Two questions:

1. How are Device IDs assigned? What gives them away and in which cases they are changed? (This behaviour is clearly a bug, where the "lease time" was too short and a new ID was given).
  2. How to reconcile the changed ID to the old one OR merge the old log data to the new device?

Thanks!

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

This happens when you change the ports that the MPPTs are plugged into on the Venus device.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Oxy-

This usually is due to connection issues, or changing ports on the device.
What GX device are you using?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oxy avatar image oxy commented ·

Color Control GX. It hasn’t changed on me recently though.

0 Likes 0 ·
hummingbear avatar image hummingbear commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) I also have duplicate device instances showing up (for the same device). It messes up my data/graphs since it considers it a new device.

Is there any way to reconcile devices when this happens? I'm surprised VRM isn't using some UUID for the device instead of taking whatever instance number the Venus (rPI) sends to it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ hummingbear commented ·

Hi @hummingbear

for Raspberry Pi installations, please use the 'modifications' forum:

https://community.victronenergy.com/spaces/31/mods.html

0 Likes 0 ·
oxy avatar image
oxy answered ·

Color Control GX. The duplicates disappeared at some point without me doing anything.

2 |3000

cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel answered ·

This happened to me randomly today. It is quite vexxing as it hoses the historical data and also requires rebuilding my widget view in VRM which is a very unpleasant task due to the interface. Absolutely nothing was going on with the system when this happened. There needs to be a better way to identify devices than a dynamically assigned device ID that is not at all bound to the unique device apparently.

All ve.direct devices connected over USB through a powered USB hub. Cerbo GX running v2.57test

1597268267003.png (151.9 KiB)
2 |3000