question

bilbo avatar image
bilbo asked

Can I wire MPPT controller and Phenix charger in parallel?

Hello.

I’ve recently added 1200W of PV panels to charge my 24volt 376Ah battery bank via a Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 controller. Until now I’ve only been able to charge them with a Victron Skylla-TG 24/75 (quite an old one) powered by a generator.

Question: Can I connect the output from the MPPT controller/charger in parallel to the output from the Skylla charger in order to charge the batteries? I’ve actually already done this, and the MPPT controller is charging the batteries just fine, but I’ve not yet switched on the Skylla charger because I don’t know if it’s safe to do so. How will the MPPT controller react when the Skylla charger is turned on?

Thanks,

Bill

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Bilbo,

This is fine to do. Quite normal actually.

The biggest issue can be if you start the generator and battery charger early, and the MPPT detects that the battery voltage is artificially high (from the charging), and then reduces its absorption time.

Not really a problem at all. It is safe.

Second issue can be you could potentially provide more combined current that the system was designed for. So make sure fuses, wiring and batteries are able to handle the potential of both charge sources going at once without doing some damage somewhere.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bilbo avatar image
bilbo answered ·

Thank you!

2 |3000

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

Hello

I've a similar question.

Is this with any charger possible?

How about different Voltages? Say Victron stlll charges with Absorption but other one goes already to float mode?

I want to put in parallel a 24V charger I have used until now (with MPPT 100/15)

The fact is that in night or raining I don't want that batteries are used until there is no power loss.

I use this system for wireless tower.

What goes on if I disable MMPT charger with application? More secure?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic