question

wgkenney avatar image
wgkenney asked

MPPT 75/15 not seeing Smart Battery Sense

I just added a smart battery sense controller to my solar set up. The smart battery sense is connected to a battery in my battery bank. It is working properly and I can see it on my victron app. I set up the network from the settings and it seems to work fine.

None of my 4 MPPT 75/15 controllers have the option to connect to the network in their settings menus on the victron connect app. So I canโ€™t connect the smart sensor to the controllers.

From where I am sitting my tablet Bluetooth can see smart battery sense unit and all four controllers. If I sit back where the MPPT controllers are the bluetooth can connect the victron app to the 4 MPPT controllers and the smart battery sense device (although it takes it a little effort to connect the battery sense device).

Any ideas on why my MPPT 75/15 canโ€™t seem to register the network created on my victron connect app?

VictronConnectSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@Wgkenney, try removing the VE.Smart Network from your Smart BatterySense, then create a new VE.Smart Network in the MPPT, then log back into the SBS and join the network that you just created on the MPPT.

My (admittedly incomplete) understanding of the hierarchy of VE.Smart Networking indicates that the order in which one creates the network and then connects devices matters... in this case, the SBS is bottom of the totem pole, so you want to create the network through the MPPT first and then add the SBS rather than vice-versa.

I'm not 100% certain that this will solve the problem, but it's a place to start.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wgkenney avatar image
wgkenney answered ยท

Justin,

I gave that a shot. So when I go to one of my MPPT controllers there still is no option to set up a network. It should be there at the bottom of the list of settings. I am on the 1.42 firmware which, I believe, is the latest.

I think that there should at least be an option there but it appears to be missions. Wonder if an update did not work right.

I looked at the product info tab and tried to do an update up the firmware library page is empty. Same thing for the battery smart sense on firmware 1.04.

This was a good thought though. I am wondering if I have firmware / software issues.

Glenn

5 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeahhhh 1.42 is the latest... wow that's super weird, I've seen literally hundreds of these cross my test bench and I've never seen a Smart MPPT not show the VE.Smart Networking tab under settings... man, I'm fresh out of ideas then. Have you tried the same procedure on one of the other controllers?

0 Likes 0 ยท
wgkenney avatar image wgkenney Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Tried it on all of them. I installed this system in summer of 2017. I did read in the victron connect manual that older smart dongles may not be compatable with the smart network. The manual gives a product number for the ones that wonโ€™t work and the ones that will. But I canโ€™t see a product number on the dongle and there is no number in the product info page in the victron app. So not sure if that is the issue. The victron connect manual did not say when the new ones that are compatable were put on the market. I was hoping that a system as new as mine would not already be outdated. I have four MPPT controllers so 4 dongles. Not sure I would want to replace the dongles ... a bit pricey to have to do

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ wgkenney commented ยท

Ahhhhhh nuts, this whole time I was assuming that you had Smart MPPTs... I've never tried setting up VE.Smart through dongles; I know it's supposed to be possible though. Let me try one on the test bench and see if I can replicate what you're experiencing... I'll get back if I find out anything useful.

0 Likes 0 ยท
wgkenney avatar image wgkenney Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks, I have the blue solar MPPT 75/15 and ve direct smart dongle Bluetooth.

0 Likes 0 ยท
paulo3233 avatar image paulo3233 wgkenney commented ยท

Hi,

You will need to have Dongle P/N ASS030536011 for system to work.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ยท
wgkenney avatar image
wgkenney answered ยท

My options on the settings page are:

Battery

Load Output

Streetlight

Tx port function

Rx port function

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

My options on the settings page are:

On the settings page, tap the 3 dots (top right) > product info.

What comes up?

0 Likes 0 ยท
wgkenney avatar image wgkenney klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

I get my MPPT 75/15 and the smart dongle connected to it. Dongle is ver 2.10 firmware

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual