question

john watson avatar image
john watson asked

Orion TR Smart DC-DC charger isolated 12/12-30 smart with victron temp sensor

Can you pair the Orion tr dc-dc charger isolated 12/12-30 with the victron temperature sensor to create a Low Temperature Disconnect, to prevent charging the leisure battery below 4 degrees C and to reconnect at 5 degrees C?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Christian Lindermann avatar image
Christian Lindermann answered ·

There is no possible to connect the temperature sensor to the Orion smart.

But if it would support VE.Smart Networking, it would be possible. Unfortunately there is no official statement from VE about this, also I am waiting for this feature in the IP-charger range....

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

I think the above answer is incorrect. All the smart Orion's have a built in switch relay do turn the unit off. I think it operates with a positive 20-100ma. So as long as you have a BMS that can sent a positive signal when it is safe to charge based on battery temp, yes it will protect your battery from over charge and under temp charging.

I am using an Electtodacus SBMS0 BMS and it has the proper automation to turn off my Multiplus charging, MPPT charging a future smart Orion charging in an event the battery temp is too low or the battery is bring over charged and the charging equipment safety did not kick in.

2 |3000

john watson avatar image
john watson answered ·

Thanks for the above replies. Just goes to show that this stuff is hard to get your head around!!! I've decided to get the Smart BMV 712 battery monitor anyway so it shouldn't be a problem now.

1 comment
2 |3000

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

One thing to point out the Smart Orion does not have a VE direct ports, so I don't know how the BVM712 can communicate with the Orion. (I don't use the BVM712 so I am not familiar with it). I do think the BVM712 does have a temp probe and a built in relay that can then connect to the Smart Orion relay, but like I said in the other comment to can control the Orion charging with a $7 thermostat relay as apposed to a $200 plus relay. Don't get me wrong having a BVM is an important function and piece of equipment you should have. My BVM is built into my BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
john watson avatar image
john watson answered ·

Actually I think your both right in your own way... Christian is right because I don't have a BMV (BMS) and the temp sensor can't connect direct to the Orion Smart dc-dc charger.... and Tom because he is assuming I already had a BMS.

Truth was that I was hoping to achieve temp cut off without a BMS.... and you can't.

2 comments
2 |3000

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

If you are not using a BMS that has temperature control you can purchase a relay thermostat that would be connected to the Smart Orion remote relay and now you have your problem solved. You can find these for $7 on eBay and Amazon.

0 Likes 0 ·
john watson avatar image john watson Tom commented ·

Nice one. Thanks Tom.

0 Likes 0 ·
dellmassive avatar image
dellmassive answered ·

I have the BMV712 and the Orion 12/12/30 . . . . . but it seems that the Orion has no VE functions . . . . ie it can connect to the Local VE network and obtain the temp from the BMV712 to allow a low temp disconnect function . . .

as seen here : https://www.t6forum.com/threads/dc-dc-charger-for-leisure-battery-how-i-done-it.15066/#post-211826

i know the BMV712 can be setup to toggle the output for low temp disconnect, but then you need to use that feed to trigger a Battery protect or other heavy duty relay . . . . . . . . surely this can be done in software/firmware so that the Orion can read the Temp via the BMV712 and as part of thge Lithium profile cut charging below 5degC . . . . . . . . . . Come on Victron!!!!!!

1 comment
2 |3000

Christian Lindermann avatar image Christian Lindermann commented ·

I think they mean you can use the relay from the BMV and connect it to the remote connection port of the Orion smart....

But I’m with you, it would be much more professional to have the VE.smart networking function inside the Orion. Hope there will be an update in the future.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic