question

frosty avatar image
frosty asked

Solar charger sizing query.

The voc of my 3 x 245w panels is 159v, would I be right in thinking i can connect my panels in parallel and use a 150/70 charge controller? I'm running a 12v system.

Thanks in advance.

charge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Please clarify, Is it 159Voc per panel or all three in series?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frosty avatar image
frosty answered ·

159v voc would be all three connected in series.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Negative; the 150v input rating is a HARD LIMIT and must not be exceeded under any circumstances. You could, however, wire two in series and keep the third in parallel and -depending on the other specs of your panels- be fine.

12 comments
2 |3000

frosty avatar image frosty commented ·

I realise the voltage shouldn't be exceeded, I was under the impression that if I connected all three panels in parallel that I'd be well under the limit and able to use a smaller less expensive controller, the 150/70.

0 Likes 0 ·
frosty avatar image frosty frosty commented ·

Have I missed something?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ frosty commented ·

Well your statement was that VOC on your 3 panels connected in series is 159v, which is more than 150v, so I was using your calculation. Did I miss something?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ frosty commented ·

Ahhhhh I see now... your calculation of your three panels in series led me to overlook that you were asking about them in parallel. It would be easier if you'd just post the specs of a single panel, perhaps?

0 Likes 0 ·
frosty avatar image frosty Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

No worries, I should have been clearer, maybe this will help, many thanks.

Solar Panel Specifications:

• Rated power: 245W
  • Module Efficiency: 19.4%
  • Voltage VMPP: 44.3V
  • Voltage Voc: 53V
  • Current at max power IMPP: 5.54A
  • Max short circuit current Isc: 5.86A
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ frosty commented ·

Panasnic hit's?

3 parallel on a 100/50 will be ok for a 12v battery system. You will need string fuses though.

0 Likes 0 ·
frosty avatar image frosty klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Yes hits, thanks for the reply, do you have the calculation for working out the fuse size? I'm new to this so I'm still finding my feet and there's so much conflicting information.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ frosty commented ·

Use the recommended "series fuse rating" from the spec sheet. https://zerohomebills.com/wp-content/uploads/Panasonic-HIT-solar-panel-N250-245W-Datasheet-EN.pdf

2 fuses for each panel.

0 Likes 0 ·
frosty avatar image frosty klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevp avatar image kevp commented ·

Justin, Can you explain a little more about 2S 1P config. I did not realise that was possible, it may open up module upgrade for my current MPPT. Are there any drawbacks?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ kevp commented ·

A diagram from Wiring Unlimited.

0 Likes 0 ·
solar-array.jpg (90.2 KiB)
Nickus de Vos avatar image Nickus de Vos kevp commented ·

I would also like to know, from what I heard if you have 3 panels, you should never connect 2P 1S or 2S 1P and that S and P strings should always be equal numbers like 4 panels 2P 2S or 6 panels 3P 2S etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Frosty. Agree that paralleled into 12V batts would be fine.

Just adding that you wouldn't need a 150/ mppt in that case, and I'd actually suggest you consider a 100/50, which would rarely (if ever) clip at the A-limit into typical charge voltages. Might save you some coin..

2 |3000

frosty avatar image
frosty answered ·

I wondered if that would be the case, appreciate the reply, cheers.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic