question

Cliff Raccani avatar image
Cliff Raccani asked

USB to RS485 interface extension cable

Since the usb to rs485 intereface comes in either 1.8m or 5m what is the recommended way of extending this to another 20m? Would a cat 6 cable be suitable for instance?

wiringrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Yes. There may need to be an additional RS485 terminator for some installations.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Cliff Raccani avatar image Cliff Raccani commented ·

Thanks. Have ordered the interface cable.

I need actually 10m extension. Would I need to terminate at this length?

If so, would a 120 ohm resister at both ends be needed?

0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips Cliff Raccani commented ·

Thinking about doing the same as you. Did you need the extra resistors?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Cliff Raccani commented ·

I have extended that length without adding resistors and had good reliable performance.

Though as it's an interference issue, every installation will vary.

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1 avatar image mk1 commented ·

How you connect this 3 pins between original rs485 to usb cable and extension cable utp cat 6 ? just normal parallelizing installation coupler ??

0 Likes 0 ·
laurentiupitran avatar image
laurentiupitran answered ·

hi, personal, i was extended an USB to RS 485 cable, 5 meters long with an 10 meters extender USB cable.

this USB extender cable is an passive one, that you can find generally on IT store magazine.

i don t need more length on cable, so can tell you more.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic