question

eirik avatar image
eirik asked

CCGX/Venus feature request: Override Multicontrol

Hi, In my boat I have a Venus, a Mulitplus Compact 1600 and a Digital Multi Control (+ some other stuff). When I am onboard, I use the Digital Multicontrol to control the Multiplus, and this works fine. However, when I am not onboard, it would be nice to use the Venus/VRM to remotely control the Multiplus (to start/stop charging the battery, to make 230V available to start a heating fan, etc.). This is not possible when the Multi Control is attached to the Venus, and if I want to achieve it, I need to detach the Multi Control from the Venus before leaving the boat (and re-attach it when I am back).

This is a bit cumbersome, and it would be nice if I could override the Multi Control with the Venus, when I wanted to do so (maybe implemented with an extra control question, if that is needed). Is this something that you would consider to develop (if it is possible) and implement in future versions of the Venus?

Thanks.

B/R Eirik

CCGX Color ControlVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Eirik, yes, that would be real cool if we could do that. But it is impossible

Those protocols & products were designed (more then a decade ago, perhaps even two!) with a single panel in mind. Not having multiple. Hence this limitation.

You can be assured that all newer protocols / newer product generations, won’t have this limitation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eirik avatar image
eirik answered ·

OK. Thanks. I understand. I guess one fix could be to install a switch on the ethernet cable to the Multicontrol? Is there a particular wire that could be “opened” so that this would effectively disengage the Multicontrol? Or do multiple wires need to be “opened”?

Thanks.

Eirik

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

That's a good idea...you might even control it with a relay from the Venus...

0 Likes 0 ·
eirik avatar image
eirik answered ·

Thank’s that could be a neat idea with the relay. Do you know which wire (pin) to open? I see in other instances that #7 is suggested.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Eirik, sorry for the slow reply.

You’d have to open almost all or simply all of the 8 wires.

And afterwards issue a ‘redetect system’ on the ccgx; see the menus.

2 |3000

jokani avatar image
jokani answered ·

Is it still impossible? Or is there an easier workaround than cutting the 8 wires?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page