question

DELTAPOWER ENG avatar image
DELTAPOWER ENG asked

Victron MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 keeps shutting down on changeover from bulk charging to absorption mode, help?

Hie,

I have a Multiplus 2 connected to a Victron battery (70Ah). The system shuts down after bulk charging as soon as it is about to go into absorption.

Please help

Multiplus-IIbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @DELTAPOWER

I think this is due to your battery being much to small for the system, is this the 'Mr. Crossley' site?

I see big spikes in DC voltage, and high DC-ripple alarms.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

DELTAPOWER ENG avatar image DELTAPOWER ENG commented ·

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Was wondering though; the batteries are 4.8kWh 48V, so maybe my capacity is 100Ah instead of 70Ah as previously mentioned.

Is this still too small for a 5kVA Multiplus II?

If so what is the minimum battery bank capacity for the 5kVA system?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ DELTAPOWER ENG commented ·

Hi @DELTAPOWER

Not what you want to hear but 'it depends'

Exactly what batteries do you have?

I'd first set the charge voltages a bit lower and see if that fixes your problem.

Try: absorbtion 56 volt, float 55 volt.

0 Likes 0 ·
DELTAPOWER ENG avatar image DELTAPOWER ENG Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Actually, I have three units troubling me; one unit has 2 x pylontech 3,5kW, 67Ah, 48V and the other two units are 1 x narada 4.8kW, 100Ah, 48V each.

The site you mentioned has a narada battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ DELTAPOWER ENG commented ·

Hi @DELTAPOWER

I'm sorry but with the information you are giving, no one can help you.

Did you follow a Victron installers training? if not, please do:

https://professional.victronenergy.com/learn/events/

0 Likes 0 ·
DELTAPOWER ENG avatar image DELTAPOWER ENG Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks so much for your help, I managed to win on all sites after adjusting my absorption and float voltage levels.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @DELTAPOWER

Glad to hear, thanks for the feed-back.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

And another remark: Please check your battery wiring for bad connections, you have a battery voltage that fluctuates too much. Hence the 'high DC-ripple' warnings.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic