question

nboatlyf avatar image
nboatlyf asked

Victron shorepower cords: IP56 or IP67?

What waterproof rating are Victron shorepower cords https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/shore-power-cable? I have seen them listed as IP56 and IP67 in different places.

Many thanks!

wiringshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I can only see them listed as IP56 in the datasheet on the Victron website.

Unless there is another Victron reference with a different IP rating I could look into, that would be the one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nboatlyf avatar image
nboatlyf answered ·

Hi Guy,

Many thanks for this. Here are the Victron sources I found:

• In the marine brochure also available on the page (https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/shore-power-cable#brochures) on page 15 it says "Waterproof Shore Power Cable and Inlet IP67".
  • At the top of the datasheet it said "Waterproof IP 56 shore power cable and inlet". So given the first bullet point perhaps the cable is IP56 and the inlet is IP67.
  • However at the bottom of the datasheet in the table it seems that the inlet is IP56.
  • So the first bullet point suggests something is IP67. Given the inlet is listed in the table as IP56 this suggests that it's the cable which is IP67. However I'm still not at all confident - seems a bit ambiguous. Of course the brochure might be wrong and perhaps both the inlet and socket are IP56.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

kai avatar image kai ♦ commented ·

You can get IEC 60309 plugs/sockets/etc from a number of vendors with different IP ratings. I got IP67 connectors from Walther Werke. They come with glands that seal around suitably sized cables.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic