question

iostrym avatar image
iostrym asked

Smartsolar 100/20 with inverter connected to the load.

Hello, I have a victron smartsolar 100/20 and I connected an inverted on load output. It's a 500w inverter that I used on my previous charger. I know that load is limited to 20A and that my inverted is oversized but it's not a problem as there are only a few lights connected to the inverter.

Bad news is that my inverted can't start when connected to load output of the victron.

The inverter works correctly when connected directly to the battery. Is it normal or is there a defect on my device ? I tried to start the inverter only without anything connected to it but it's doesn't work either.

MPPT Controllersvictron productssmart solar set-up helpinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

Inverters have capacitors that demand a lot of current on powering on. This triggers the overload protection on the solar controller.

If you’re only running lights, perhaps you’d be better off running 12v LEDs directly from the 12v load terminals...?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iostrym avatar image iostrym commented ·

thanks for your answer this is the problem.

these was no problem with my precedent charger because I had a 40A output load.

But 20A load is too low.

it is a shame that victron don't have such a charger. :'(

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

I agree, I had a 30A PWM charger previously and never had an issue with my (12v DC) macbook air charger, but on the victron 20A load terminals it always cuts out on initial connection. It’s fine after that though...

2 |3000

iostrym avatar image
iostrym answered ·

thanks, yes it is the problem.

Then I will keep my stecca tarom (40A, PWM) only for the batterie discharge. 30mA won't be a problem I guess...

what a shame there is no victron 40A.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual