question

Christian BRIOU avatar image
Christian BRIOU asked

Bluesolar MPPT 75/15: Recommended cables size and fuses

Hi there,

- What size of cable (mm²) do you recommend to link the charger to the battery ? (3-5 M)

- Do you recommend fuses between the charger and the battery ? Size ?

- What does protect the 20A fuse inserted in the charger ? The imput, the output cables or the charger itself ?

- Do you recommend a bipolar interruptor between the solar panel and the charger, on the input PV cables ?

My battery is currently connected to the charge (fuses panel) with a 10 mm² cable: Should i want to use the full functionnalitiés of the MPPT charger, i have to use the same size of cable to lik the "load" output, so:

- Does the charger connexions accept a 10mm² cable at both the "battery" and "load" connectors?

My equipment to install on a motorhome:

12V/110A gel VICTRON battery (Deep cycle)

Bluesolar MPPT 75/15 VICTRON charger.

160W, max 73V/13.5A solar panel

Many thanks

Chr. BRIOU

MPPT Controllerswiringinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

May I strongly suggest you read

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/09/03/wiring-unlimited/

Getting it right it vital to not only protect your equipment, warranty etc. but it helps you fully understand all the components of your system better. There are many things to consider like temperature and so on. Hope it helps and it is FREE.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi,

To answer your questions as I understand them, form when I used a 75/15:
1) If memory serves, either 6 mm² wire fits easily.
2) Fuse size 20amps - as the MPPT can send out 15 amps over the wire.
3) 20amp fuse inside the MPPT is to protect the MPPT.
4) Fuses between panels and MPPT is highly recommended, also surge protection if possible.
5) From panels to MPPT you can use 4 mm² or 6 mm² - as the volts are higher.

Regards
Jaco

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual