question

Johnson Lee avatar image
Johnson Lee asked

Venus GX to turn off charging source from analog input

Is it possible to program an analog input of the Venus GX to turn off any charging source in the Victron components connected to the Venus GX (eg. MPPT or inverter/charger) from an external 2 wire relay? Eg. external BMS/push button/rapid shutdown etc.

I can use the external 2 wire relay source to power a BatteryProtect or a relay to disconnect the battery output of a MPPT, or connect the 2 wire relay into the MultiPlus to stop charge but it would be more elegant to do it via software.

Venus GX - VGX
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

treejohnny avatar image treejohnny commented ·

This is exactly what I am looking for as well. The Venus GX has the ability when connected to BMV 712 W/temp sensor to complete the task. I think all Victron Smart Chargers now have the ability to stop the charge process below a set temperature. I don't understand why it has not been done through Venus GX/Color Control yet?

0 Likes 0 ·
jon-lowbank avatar image jon-lowbank commented ·

Same Question but title should read

Venus GX to turn off charging source from digital input.

I have a Cerbo GX a MultiPlus and a MTTP. I have a custom Lithium Battery with allow to Charger and Allow to Discharge Dry contracts.

I can control the MultiPlus with the digital inputs, info here.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Connecting-other-lithium-battery-systems-to-Multis-and-Quattros-EN.pdf

But if I have the MTTP connected to the GX device Via a VE.Direct cable I can not use the VE.Direct non-inverting remote on-off cable.

How can I stop the MTTP Changing by a relay and have the MPPT connected to a Cerbo GX ?

0 Likes 0 ·
shellness avatar image shellness commented ·

I wonder whether anyone can answer jon-lobank’s question? In my case, I would like to know whether a temperature alarm from a SmartShunt can trigger a Venus GX to stop an MPPT from charging.

I wish to swap to LiFePO4 batteries in a remote setting but have no way of blocking charging when the temperature nears freezing.

0 Likes 0 ·
dirkmuc avatar image dirkmuc shellness commented ·
Hi,

using a smart shunt together with a smart MPPT should give you the requested function as they communicate via the VE Smart Networking.

0 Likes 0 ·
shellness avatar image shellness dirkmuc commented ·
Thank you for the reply. So, there is a function in the GX which can convert an alarm from the SmartShunt into the action of stopping the MPPT(s)? (I can't see anything in the Configuration section of the manual.)
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers